yum update breaks server

Discussion in 'Plesk Automation Suggestions and Feedback' started by GregHL, Aug 5, 2013.

1. GregHL

GregHL Mega Poster

I've had an issue since PPA was installed - there was always an error on Xerces - and the recommended method of updating (according to the devs I was working with) - was to run yum with the --skip-broken option.

Well - today I ran up - and php and httpd updated - now the server is SERIOUSLY MESSED UP.

I see the standard apache2 test page on shared servers - php sites are internal server erroring - and the whole thing is an absolute MESS.

Coming from hsphere, where yum exclusions were in place to prevent this kind of thing from tearing the server to shreds - I am more than a little unhappy... why oh why is it so hard for us to be able to update our servers?!?

oh - and how do I get this thing back to serving the pages it should be serving?!!?

2. IgorG

IgorG Guru

3. GregHL

GregHL Mega Poster

Of course I did that already. Developers have had to get involved - the state the server was left in for legacy websites was incompatible with `yum update` but no exclusions were put in yum.conf - so the first time yum was used to upgrade anything, the server exploded. Sloppy setup by the migration team. This makes me VERY worried about running yum on any other cluster servers - not a great situation to be in when the guys that can fix the issue are 13 hour time difference from me.