Which one supports P4 3.06 Ghz with Hyperthreading better?

Discussion in 'PSA 5.0 Suggestions and Feedback' started by twrs, Apr 28, 2003.

1. twrs

twrs Mega Poster

I'm going to get a new P4 3.06 Ghz with Hyperthreading server very soon.

I'm going to use Plesk 5 on this server.
    I have one question, which one offers better performance or support
    the Hyperthreading feature better between Red Hat Linux 7.3
    and FreeBSD 4.8?

Personally I'd like to install Plesk 5 + FreeBSD 4.8 on this new server, but if Red Hat offers better support for Hyperthreading, I may go that way.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

2. atomicturtle

atomicturtle Product Expert

I happen to have a 3.06 HT CPU (in my laptop no less!) FreeBSD does not support it. If you set it up right in linux, it will show up as an SMP system. Side note, it will show up as an SMP system in w2k as well. If it does not, then your motherboard might need a bios upgrade.

3. Phil@

Phil@ Tera Poster

You can wait until PSA 6.0 is released. Then u can install Redhat 9.0 on this HyperThreading Server.

But I thought, If you have the right Mainboard who support the HT Processer properly, you can install every Operating System on this Server. Because the Mainboard should manage the splitting of the one physical processor to two virtual processors. But, I'm not sure, because I don't have any experience with HT processors. But sure you need an OS who support SMP. I think with Redhat you will go the right way :D

Phil

4. twrs

twrs Mega Poster

When is the ETA for Plesk 6.0?

Will it come with standard build as well? I really don't like RPMs.

5. atomicturtle

I dont know on 6.0, since Im not directly involved with it. But I do know 6.0 will only be distributed as rpm's for linux.

6. Phil@

Phil@ Tera Poster

Yes only RPM, but with a Auto-Install.

I don't like RPM too.

7. utman

utman Guest

i like the standard as well.

8. sieb@

sieb@ Guru

We heard through the channels that 6.0 goes into limited customer based beta testing within a week or so.

9. hardweb

hardweb Guru

Redhat works well with HT.

10. advantagecom

advantagecom Kilo Poster

FreeBSD 4.8 was supposed to have included support for hyperthreading. It sees each hyperthread as a separate virtual processor and treats it like an SMP machine.

From what I hear, most motherboards require that you turn on hyperthreading and they leave it off by default due to some incompatibilities with Windows NT 4.0 systems.

I haven't used it myself, though. We're using FreeBSD 4.7 on a dual processor non-hyperthreaded system.

11. atomicturtle

Ive had dreadful dreadful issues with Freebsd on the HT cpu. At best, it wont use it at all, and at worst it locks up like crazy. Then again, freebsd has always had bad smp support, so Im not surprised. Side note, 4.8 and 4.9, way way faster than 5.x. It looks like they still have a lot of debug symbols in the 5.x tree.

12. twrs

twrs Mega Poster

I've got my new P4 3.06 Ghz server and I installed Red Hat Linux 7.3 + Plesk 5 (rpm version).

Kernel version is 2.4.18-27.7.xbigmem.

However, looking at cpuinfo, it still shows as one CPU, not 2 CPU, as true SMP should. Do you know how to fix it?

processor : 0
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 15
    model : 2
    model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz
    stepping : 7
    cpu MHz : 3073.814
    cache size : 512 KB
    Physical processor ID : 0
    Number of siblings : 2
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 2
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
    bogomips : 6110.41

13. eilko

eilko Guru

what motherboard do you use with the 3Ghz Pentium?

14. twrs

twrs Mega Poster

I don't know exactly about the motherboard, but it's using Intel 845-GE Chipset.

Do you think something is wrong in the kernel or the motherboard BIOS?

15. eilko

eilko Guru

According to the Intel site:
    Your processor, chipset and OS supports it, are you sure your BIOS is ready?

16. atomicturtle

Yeah I definitely had to upgrade my bios on my 3.06 (Im using a Sager Notebook, the laptop on the cover of www.powernotebooks.com). When I first started it up, HT was disabled in the bios, and had to be upgraded.

Second part, I use a 2.5 kernel, so I've never seen how it boots up on a 2.4 box

17. twrs

twrs Mega Poster

Where can I find the Hyperthreading option in the BIOS? After the BIOS upgraded, will it automatically show up as two CPUs under Red Hat Linux 7.3? Or do I need to upgrade the kernel or something again?

I'll try to ask the provider to upgrade the server BIOS.

18. advantagecom

advantagecom Kilo Poster

It's different for every machine. Some BIOS just plain don't support HT, especially if the BIOS is on a consumer/desktop oriented motherboard. Server boards are more likely to have support for HT.

Are you certain RH 7.3 will see HT as multiple CPU's? I noticed in the cpuinfo output that it detected the HT flag on the CPU and "Number of siblings : 2" might mean something in the context of HT support under Linux. Since it detected the HT flag, I would imagine that your BIOS doesn't need an upgrade, but that depends on whether or not the HT flag is detectable with HT support off.

I'm not familiar enough with the generic RH 7.3 kernel to say this with certainty, but you may need to choose one of the SMP kernels instead of the generic kernel.

19. atomicturtle

I'm running a RH9 and a 2.5.69 kernel