Whats the difference with disk settings on hosting plans..

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Wintermute, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Wintermute

Wintermute Mega Poster

Just setting up my hosting plans now...

what is the difference between

Disk space quota (pd_diskquota)

and

Hard disk space quota (pd_harddiskquota)

I see both of these when trying to set up a Plesk Domain Hosting plan.. I want the plan to be 1 GB of space max on the HD but not sure which setting will do it. Which ever one it is..what is the other one for ?

Thanks

Winter

2. fenster

fenster Tera Poster

pd_diskquota is a diskspace occupied by domain's mailboxes, databases, and files. It is calculated by Plesk.

pd_harddiskquota is a system disk quota set for domain's FTP user.

These resources are different because databases and mailboxes are not owned by FTP user and are not accounted into pd_harddiskquota.

3. Wintermute

Wintermute Mega Poster

Ok..I think I almost understand it..
    in pd_diskquota i got the mailboxes and databases but what constitutes as files? Is it the actual web site content like images and .html files uploaded by the user?

or is that the stuff thats uploaded by the ftp user and falls under pd_harddiskquota ?

Thanks
    Winter

4. fenster

fenster Tera Poster

Yes, when I say "files" I mean actual site content uploaded by the user -- du -sh /var/www/vhosts/$domain (or /home/httpd/vhosts/$domain in older versions). Files in public directory can be owned not only by FTP user, but also e.g. by apache (if they were created from php script), etc.

5. Wintermute

Wintermute Mega Poster

OK- So If I setup pd_diskquota to be 4 Gigs and pd_harddiskquota to be 3 Gigs does that mean that the user actually has 7 Gigs or is it 4 gigs MAX, 3 of which can be FTP user data and the rest DB, EMail and stuff..?

Thanks
    Winter

6. fenster

fenster Tera Poster

The idea is that Plesk cannot limit "pd_diskquota", it can only count it and report it for HSPcomplete's billing.

7. kpilcher

kpilcher Kilo Poster

Alex,

I still don't get it. How do these parameters relate to each other and how should the be set if say I have a Plesk domain hosting plan that includes and is limited to 250MB of disk space for mail, web, database, ftp?

Thanks

Ken

8. Cranky

Cranky Guru

Hi,

pd_diskquota is the total amount of diskspace a user can use in Plesk for their account. This includes mail, databases, config files, webspace, etc. This limit can be exceeded by the subscriber without Plesk limiting them, but Plesk tells HSPc about them exceeding the limit and HSPc can be setup to either suspend the user, or bill them for overuse.

pd_harddiskquota is the maximum amount of diskspace which can be used in FTP directories. For example, if you set a 1GB quota that means that if the user uploads 600MB to httpdocs, 200MB to httpsdocs and 200MB to cgi-bin they have 1GB total uploaded and therefore have no additional space to use. This is a hard-limit which cannot be exceeded.

9. kpilcher

kpilcher Kilo Poster

Thanks for the information Cranky,

How does the FTP account hard limit relate to the domain account soft limit?

Example:

Disk space quota (pd_diskquota) = 1GB
    Hard disk space quota (pd_harddiskquota) = 250MB

If the FTP user uses all of the 250MB would there be 750MB available from the 1GB pd_diskquota?

Ken

10. Cranky

Cranky Guru

If you use 250MB of pd_harddiskquota and pd_diskquota is set to 1000MB you have 750MB remaining on pd_diskquota.

Yep, correct.

11. kpilcher

kpilcher Kilo Poster

Cranky,

Thank you very much

Ken