Virtuozzo Linux 4.6 on Centos 5.10: kernel panic in :vzfs:vefs_aio_write

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by burnley, Jan 7, 2014.

1. burnley

burnley Kilo Poster

Hi,

Running vzkernel-2.6.18-028stab101.1 on a not so busy server I got this kernel panic this morning which unfortunately led to some significant downtime for some of our customers. Attached a screenshot for further reference.
    Now the system is running 2.6.18-028stab108.1.

Would you be able to have a look into it and advise whether or not this is a known issue which may have been fixed down the track? What other information should I provide?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  2. KristianM

KristianM Product Expert

Hi,

I can't help you in debugging this, but I can tell you what to do, to help Parallels track down the root cause.
    The best thing you can do is setup kdump and have it dump a memory dump upon a kernel panic.

Please make sure to locate the dump somewhere where there is enough disk space available to fully dump your system memory.
    Maybe the following link can help in setting it up:
    http://marinovl.blogspot.de/2012/04/how-to-enable-centosrhel-5-crash-dump.html

If I remember right, kdump will also reboot the node automatically after creating the memory dump in case of a kernel panic.
    So your node should be back online faster and you have a memory dump to forward to Parallels support.

Hope it helped
    Regards,
    Kristian

3. burnley

burnley Kilo Poster

Hi Kristian,

Great suggestion, configuring kdump makes sense, will try to do it and see how we go from there.
    Thanks.

4. burnley

burnley Kilo Poster

Hurray, that server crashed again! This time I've got a vmcore file, hopefully it's valid and. Will contact Parallels support. Cheers.