sub-domain zone created without A registry on periodic dns sync between Plesk a. PBAS

Discussion in 'Customization & Integration Showcase and Discussion' started by AlexsanderR, Oct 6, 2013.

1. AlexsanderR

AlexsanderR Kilo Poster

Sub-domain zone created without A record on periodic DNS sync between Plesk a. PBAS

Hi,

When creating a sub-domain on a Plesk Domain managed by PBAS, DNS solves it fine until it syncs at night with PBAS, a registry without A record (only NS appointment) at the super-domain DNS Zone and its address is not solved anymore (a notification of domain creation is sent to customer, as well).
    It is only fixed when the sub-domain is deleted on PBAS and the super-domain DNS is deactivated and reactivated by panel.

Is there some configuration to avoid this?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  2. RickDijssel

RickDijssel Kilo Poster

He Alex,

Got the same problem now and looking at this with support team. Will keep you noticed on progres.

Gr,

Rick

3. AlexsanderR

AlexsanderR Kilo Poster

Thank you Rick.

Didn't try yet, but maybe setting sub-domain zone to be created independently from super-domain could work around the issue.

4. AlexsanderR

AlexsanderR Kilo Poster

Thank you Rick.

Didn't try yet, but maybe setting sub-domain zone to be created independently from super-domain could work around the issue.

5. RickDijssel

RickDijssel Kilo Poster

He Alex,

Got some bad news Parallels isn't capable to reproduce the problem although it should be easy to reproduce. The issue in my case is when the subdomain is added to pbas (all domains list in pcc or in cp) it changes the DNS and adds NS record for subdomain. This behaviour results in a loop for the named services and returns an error when using dig. The most simple solution is to switch DNS hosting off in the cp but this is a manual task that must be done for each subdomain created. Is this the same for you? I'm testing switch this behaviour using the event system will keep you posted.

Regards,

Rick

6. RickDijssel

RickDijssel Kilo Poster

He Alex,

Got some bad news Parallels isn't capable to reproduce the problem although it should be easy to reproduce. The issue in my case is when the subdomain is added to pbas (all domains list in pcc or in cp) it changes the DNS and adds NS record for subdomain. This behaviour results in a loop for the named services and returns an error when using dig. The most simple solution is to switch DNS hosting off in the cp but this is a manual task that must be done for each subdomain created. Is this the same for you? I'm testing switch this behaviour using the event system will keep you posted.

Regards,

Rick

7. AlexsanderR

AlexsanderR Kilo Poster

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your concern!

That workaround from post #4 worked to me.

From the Plesk Administration Guide, p. 69.

"By default, Panel does not create separate DNS zones for subdomains. However, if you wish to try out this feature, use the following command-line call:"
    server_pref –u –subdomain-dns-zone own

So, subdomain will be created with its own zone and PBAS sync will not mess the superdomain zone (I've tested it, created a subdomain an superdomain zone was not messed up after nightly PBAs sync).

However, it is not optimal, since if customer changes its subdomain zone management to be included on superdomain zone, it can cause same issue.

Better if Parallels Engineers point out a way to avoid the issue.

8. AlexsanderR

AlexsanderR Kilo Poster

Hi Rick,

Any news from Parallels?

Thanks!

9. RickDijssel

RickDijssel Kilo Poster

He Alex,

They closed my ticket because they couldn't reproduce the problem in the test environment. They see the first sync with Plesk and the DNS record is working but they don't want to wait till the subdomain is in PBAS and DNS is corrupt by this sync. Hopefully a engineer will read this forum posts and they will fix this in upcoming releases.

Regards,
    Rick

10. vbatraev

vbatraev Odin Team

Hi guys,

The issue is fixed in PBAS 4.5 release. Bug ID #PBAS-29158.

P. S. It's missed in the list of fixed issues in the release notes, we will add it there.

11. RickDijssel

RickDijssel Kilo Poster

He Victor,

I'm running version 4.5.1-15 on centos 5 32 bits. But i'm still having the same problems. Could get around it by disabling the dns for the subdomain but this solution doesn't work when the parent domain is registered elsewhere. Do you have a solution?

Best regards,
    Rick van den Dijssel
    iblox

12. dkolvakh

dkolvakh Odin Team

Rick,

I've found your support request #1745729 and repeat all steps described by you in one of replies on my testset (PBAS 4.5.1, Plesk Linux 11.5.30 Update #43). I cannot reproduce this issue for Plesk Domain and Plesk Client subscription with default DNS templates set, please see attachment.

To continue investigation, I need an access to your PBAS deployment, where issue can be reproduced easily. Please create another request in Parallels Support and tell me RT # so I'll escalate it to developers.
    And once again - without ability to reproduce this issue on your installation, we cannot determine root-cause.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  13. GiorgosI

GiorgosI Kilo Poster

The same problem here.
    PBAs 4.5.2-21
    Plesk for linux 12.0.18.

When a customer adds a subdomain (with DNS switched off, so only an A record is added to the basic domain in Plesk), it works.
    But as soon as this subdomain is added automatically to PBAs (after a few hours), it stops responding.

After I apply the workaround referred in your article:
    http://kb.odin.com/en/118902

the problem is fixed for the specific subdomain.

Hasn't it been fixed in PBAs 4.5.2-21?

14. tom-

tom- Bit Poster

I have the same problem with PBAs 4.5.2-21 and Plesk for linux 11.5.30 Update #48

When running it with Plesk 9.5.4 all subdomains DNS is operating fine, once migrated to plesk 11.5.30 it creates those parent zones and adds NS records to the primary domain DNS and will break DNS lookups.

I've tried all sorts of options, the only way to get it to work is to delete the subdomain from PBAS all-together which is definitely not ideal and causes manual workarounds.