SSD caching in Virtuozzo 7 - missing cache file

Discussion in 'Installation, Update and Configuration' started by SteveITS, Apr 20, 2017.

1. SteveITS

SteveITS Tera Poster

Hi, we formatted and installed VZ7 on three nodes in our cluster and upgraded one. On the installed nodes, I picked the option to use SSD for caching. It sets up journals but I see no cache file, just an empty directory:

# df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sdd3 183G 94G 80G 55% /mnt/ssd1

# ll /mnt/ssd1
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 20 12:07 client_cache
    drwxr-xr-x 3 vstorage vstorage 4096 Apr 20 12:07 cluster1-cs0-ssd
    drwxr-xr-x 3 vstorage vstorage 4096 Apr 20 12:07 cluster1-cs1-ssd

# ll /mnt/ssd1/client_cache
    total 0

From /etc/fstab:
    vstorage://cluster1 /vstorage/cluster1 fuse.vstorage cache=/mnt/ssd1/client_cache,cachesize=47173,_netdev 0 0

Our upgraded node has an 80 GB pstorage-cluster1-cache file on its SSD, and no directory.

Advise-configuration shows:

# vstorage -c cluster1 advise-configuration -w --cs /vstorage/cluster1-cs1 --cs /vstorage/cluster1-cs2 --ssd /mnt/ssd1 -m /vstorage/cluster1
    You have the following setup:
    CS on /vstorage/cluster1-cs2 -- Total disk space 823.8GB
    CS on /vstorage/cluster1-cs1 -- Total disk space 823.8GB

SSD on /mnt/ssd1 -- Total disk space 182GB

Proposed server configuration optimized for writes:
    - 113.5GB (62%) for CS journals, 48.6GB (26%) for mount read cache on /mnt/ssd1,
    19.8GB (10%) reserved (including 1.6GB checksums for 1.6TB of data)
    - CS journal sizes:
    56.7GB for /vstorage/cluster1-cs2 at /mnt/ssd1
    56.7GB for /vstorage/cluster1-cs1 at /mnt/ssd1

How to setup the node:
    vstorage -c cluster1 make-cs -r /vstorage/cluster1-cs2 -j /mnt/ssd1/cs2-cluster1-journal -s 58156
    vstorage -c cluster1 make-cs -r /vstorage/cluster1-cs1 -j /mnt/ssd1/cs1-cluster1-journal -s 58156
    vstorage-mount -c cluster1 /vstorage/cluster1 -C /mnt/ssd1/vstorage-cluster1-cache -R 49848

Mount option for automatic cluster mount from /etc/fstab:
    vstorage://cluster1 /vstorage/cluster1 fuse.vstorage cache=/mnt/ssd1/vstorage-cluster1-cache,cachesize=49848

Am I missing something or does the installer not create the cache file(s) correctly?

2. Pavel

Pavel A.I. Auto-Responder Staff Member

Hi,

Following mount option should be pointing to the file:
    Code:
    cache=/mnt/ssd1/client_cache
    However, in your output we can clearly see it's a directory. 100% sure if you remove the directory and remount the storage, OR, point cache to some filename inside that directory and remount the storage you'll get things working.

Question is how installer performed such configuration... Can you send me anaconda-ks,cfg in a private message? I'd like to check it if possible.

3. SteveITS

SteveITS Tera Poster

Ok, message sent. I will try deleting the directory next time I boot a node.

For the install, I used the 7.0.3 GUI install (boot the ISO) and just checked the boxes to use the SSD drive, use for client caching, etc...all those boxes checked. This was installed as an MDS and CS also. It's the same way on all the nodes so maybe a bug in the installer?

4. Pavel

Pavel A.I. Auto-Responder Staff Member

Thanks for the kickstart file! I'll check it.
    Indeed it sounds like a bug, I'll try to reproduce it myself

5. SteveITS

SteveITS Tera Poster

To confirm: renaming the directory does work, it creates the file on boot.