SNMP Statistics

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Decisiveservers, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Decisiveservers

Decisiveservers Kilo Poster

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone out there would be able to help us, we have been implementing PBAS now as a replacement for Hsphere, we have managed to get everything working except getting PBAS to get usage statistics from our switches.

The switches are definitely for SNMP and we can SNMPwalk them from the console of the PBAS server.

Anyone get any ideas of where we can look or any steps we might have missed when setting up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Rob

2. vbatraev

vbatraev Odin Team

3. Decisiveservers

Automatic statistics

Hi,

Thanks for your response, according to the documentation this should work as an automated task. Our previous product H-Sphere would query the switches every hour and show users their usage. We don't really want to trying to manually load in usage stats every hour for all our dedicated servers.

The documentation seems to state that this manual load is only used when PBAS can't seem to get stats and is a bit of a workaround.

We would really like to get the automated part of this working as all other traffic stats are gathered automatically for containers etc.

Do I need to log a support ticket?

Thanks

Kind Regards,
    Rob

4. vbatraev

vbatraev Odin Team

Could you please point me to the documentation when it stated?

Currently PBAS support automatic traffic collection for PVC Containers and Plesk shared hosting only.
    In both cases it's collected through API.

Traffic collection from switches is not yet supported and usually automated by providers using PBAS command line tools.
    You may create a script to do this and put it on cron to be executed every hour.

You may utilize Net::SNMP library to collect stats.
    Below is piece of a script demonstrates how to:
    - get list of switches and dedicated servers from PBAS DB
    - open session with switch
    - compile XML to import traffic
    - import it into PBAS

It should be extended with actual usage collection.
    I hope it will help.

5. Decisiveservers

Hi Victor,

Thankyou very much for the script. Unfortunately with us not knowing a lot of Perl, would this script be able to run "as is" posted on the forum or would we need to change/add anything. Also do we need to install any additional Perl components to able to use the script?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. (You might hear the same question coming from John as I was having a catch up today as we have just bought a PBAS license!)

Kind Regards,
    Robert Charlton

6. Decisiveservers

I found the link for the automatic stats:

Its under the "Example XML" for loading traffic stats. It says:
    Example of XML File for Traffic Statistics Import

"Traffic usage statistics import is needed in case it is not possible for Parallels Business Automation - Standard to collect the needed traffic statistics automatically. For example, traffic statistics import can be used to control and bill traffic usage by dedicated servers, in the situation when traffic usage statistics are collected by some internal devices.

Below we describe all tags used in XML file to describe traffic usage statistics."

Cheers
    Rob

7. Cem_Karaca

Cem_Karaca Bit Poster

Is it still the same? do we need extra tool to get dedicated server traffic usage?

Thank you

8. FedorK

FedorK Mega Poster

Hello,

Feature for traffic collection from switches still not implemented yet. I rise priority for this feature.