1. michaellunsford

michaellunsford Mega Poster

This is probalby about half plesk, and the other half common knowledge (that I don't have). Whatever help you can provide would be awesome.

I need to do the following:
    1. fix the DNS records so that all e-mail goes to a different server than the website is being hosted on.
    2. have plesk redirect all http inbound traffic for subdomain "mail.domainname.com" to a specific http port on the same mail server from question 1.

Lost as a goose on this one.
    Thanks!

2. ShadowMan@

ShadowMan@ Tera Poster

External Mail Server Setup

I think you may be getting confused with your use of the term 'http'. Mail is done via SMTP on port 25, not via HTTP on port 80. But no matter, here is what we do when a client has a separate mail server:

You need to reconfigure your Plesk and Qmail so that the domain's mail is disabled in Plesk, then do the following to the Qmail control files (this is one solution which works for us, but may not be the 'only' way):

/var/qmail/control/virtualdomains
    -remove the domain from this file
    -this will tell Qmail that the domain's email is not local

/var/qmail/control/smtproutes
    -create or edit the file, add the client domain, IP address, port number on a single line, each item separated by colons ":" with no spaces.
    -this will tell Qmail where to 'forward' the domain's email to

/var/qmail/control/rcpthosts
    -this file gets rewritten by Plesk, so make sure their domain is NOT listed in this file, but make sure it IS put into a file called /var/qmail/control/morercpthosts

/var/qmail/control/morercpthosts
    -this file does not exist by default, so you'll need to create it
    -put the domain name into this file
    -this will tell Qmail to accept email for the domain (from other domains hosted on your server)
    -this file does NOT get rewritten by Plesk

Putting the DNS entries (mail.domain.com, or as panaman posted smtp.domain.com, pop.domain.com) should still be done so that the MX records for the domain are still resolvable to the proper IP address. You should make A record(s) which point to the IP (mail.domain.com. A ip.add.re.ss), then make sure the MX records point to that, it should already. We try to avoid using CNAMES whenever possible.

Normally the 'mail.domain.com' is already an A record pointing to the IP on your Plesk server, so you just have to delete that one and create a new one with the new IP. But I don't want to 'assume' anything about your DNS template or how the domain's DNS is currently setup now...

DNS: Once the domain's mail service is set to disabled, the mail.domain.com CNAME record should automatically be deleted, verify this. You can then add an A record for mail.domain.com and give it the specific IP address of the external mail server.

3. michaellunsford

the http portion of my original request has to do with the existing webmail server.

I found a way around it by using the server's IP address with appropriate port number. Seems to be happy. Now, on to this DNS stuff...

4. michaellunsford

It looks like you have the ability to control your domain's information from inside plesk. I have been doing this manully through my independent registrar. Can plesk handle this on its own? How do I set it up?

Also, is there a place I can read about DNS. Like what all these A, MX, and CNAME records do, etc?

Thanks!

5. ShadowMan@

ShadowMan@ Tera Poster

6. BoiseComputer

BoiseComputer Mega Poster

External Mail Server

I have an external mail server for one of the domains that is hosted on my plesk server. People that I host websites for cannot send mail to me on that server. I have followed the steps you have indicated and the server holds the e-mails in the queue. Anyone have a real solution to this problem?

7. jamesyeeoc

jamesyeeoc Guru

You may have missed editing one of the 4 control files posted by Shadowman. Once those files are edited, the DNS entries modified, and all related services are restarted, then email for the hosted domain which has an external SMTP server (such as Exchange) should be handled properly. This has always worked well for us on numerous servers (Plesk and non-Plesk Qmail based servers).

8. BoiseComputer

BoiseComputer Mega Poster

I follow all the steps and the e-mail sits in my mail queue. I believe it might work for you... It, however, does not work for me.. Any ideas why?

9. michaellunsford

when it came down to it, I was able to get everything working by changing the DNS settings under the domain's DNS control panel.

MX goes to mail.
    mail. A record goes to mail server's IP address

then disable mail under the domain's mail control panel.

I am now running plesk 8, so if something ain't quite right, let me know.