Reseller registration

Discussion in 'Installation and "How-To" Questions' started by KonstantinosS, Jan 13, 2015.

1. KonstantinosS

KonstantinosS Mega Poster

I've stumbled upon something I think it's a bug, but I'm not very sure... I've created 4 reseller hosting plans on PBA-S, but when a guest who does not have an account on PBA-S tries to buy one, he's asked to login as a reseller. Shouldn't PBA-S allow the automatic creation of reseller accounts by default, as long as the license allows it?

If not, how would you suggest I set it up in order to allow automatic registration? Is it something that I can switch on in the settings?

Thanks for your help people!

2. FedorK

FedorK Mega Poster

Hello KonstantinosS,

You need register reseller accounts from online store?

Now it is possible at "Become Partner" link at store. But anyway this is not automaticall process, provider should approve reseller creation.

3. KonstantinosS

Thank you for the quick reply Fedor! I just saw the link in the footer...

Would it be possible to automate the process, by allowing the partner to register while buying, the same way as when a user can register when buying a provider subscription? I wouldn't mind approving a reseller, or his dedicated server orders manually, although I do find it a bit weird. It beats the whole process of having an automation system.

Could you please explain the reason behind not wanting selling reseller accounts from online store?

Thanks again for the reply!

4. FedorK

FedorK Mega Poster

Hello,

It is not possible to create resellers automatically for now.

Reseller can create copy of provider hosting plans and create service based on this hosting plans.
    For example he can register domains, issue certificates, provision shared and virtual hosting.
    That why provider should approve creation of reseller account.

5. KonstantinosS

Yes, however, you do not tell me why it would be an issue to my company when I can charge someone for those services. Isn't this the reason we use PBAS? To sell our services to our clients? Am I missing something?

6. FedorK

FedorK Mega Poster

How many resellers are you going to sell?

7. KonstantinosS

So far, the company has one, but we have a couple of days that we created the reseller packages. Given the fact that we're under an unlimited license for resellers and customers, and that we prefer having resellers than plain hosting packages, I'd love to know how we can automate the process as much as possible. Especially when we can automate most of the features using PBA-S.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but when a reseller's customer uses PBA-S in order to buy a Domain for example, isn't PBA-S charging the reseller for the amount the company's asking and then the reseller passes that cost to his customer? For example, let's say my company chargew $10 for a .com, and the reseller charges $12, we charge the reseller $10 when the order comes in, he charges his client $12, and the domain passes on to the customer while the reseller makes $2 when he's paid and the company gets $10 when the invoice we issue is paid. (usually automatically) Is this simple example correct on how the charging occurs inside PBA-S?

8. FedorK

FedorK Mega Poster

Behavior that you describe is correct. Reseller can set zerro prices for domain. Reseller can process domain without payment from customer side.

Are you ready to open possibility to register domain to everyone without payments?

9. KonstantinosS

A couple of questions if I may, because you got me a bit confused with your last reply.

1. If I'm charging the reseller my domain fees, why would/should I care how much the reseller charges his clients for the domains? Wouldn't PBA-S automatically process the whole charging, so even if reseller charges $0 for a domain, I still get my $10 per domain (prices are from my previous example)?

2. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't PBA-S already have the possibility to allow reseller to use only specific plugins, so that the provider can actually limit what the reseller can actually resell?

Again, I may be wrong, as I'm new to PBA-S, so please don't hesitate to point my mistakes.

10. FedorK

FedorK Mega Poster

KonstantinosS,

If reseller sell domians for $0 (or process without payment) domain are register and PBAS issue invoice. Reseller should pay this invoice, but he can skip it and register several domains or SSL certificates. I think it is wrong if ANY from internet will have possiblity register as reseller and register domains without payment to provider. This is actual only if provider share their hosting plans with reseller and reseller can copy hosting plans.
    Provider can forbid copy hosting plans and reseller can't register any services from provider.

PBAS has possiblity to limit domains which reseller can configure (it mean contact registrar directly and get own registrant account).

Please describe which functionality you need from resellers? Plans will copied or own? Which services reseller should sell?

11. KonstantinosS

Hi Fedor!

My setup at the moment includes the following plug-ins, as I've not installed any domain/ssl selling features yet.
    - Shared Hosting Plans (working)
    - Dedicated servers (planned)
    - VPS (planned)
    - Reseller hosting (working)
    - PayPal payment processing (working)
    - Anti-fraud VAT & address plugins (working)

I'm planning to create and add a domain registration plugin, but not allow reseller to resell from it (I wouldn't mind allowing him to buy domains though, if it's possible to do that without allowing him to resell through his own plans). However, I need to custom-write the code for the API, so at the moment it's a bit behind in development.

My resellers are able to create their own plans or modify my own according to their needs, and available (installed and allowed access to) plugins, according to what I understood from the documentation and the setup I have created (or at least, I hope I've created correctly). At the moment, the reseller is able to:
    a) create shared hosting plans
    b) enter his clients and websites
    c) pay the company for the services offered to him via PayPal

Question: I've seen a few domain companies using credits to process payments for services used by their resellers, could such a feature be used in PBA-S for reseller services and not process their orders if reseller has less credits than the amount available? For example, 1 credit = $1, domain costs $10, reseller has 50 credits already deposited, so he's allowed to purchase it. If reseller had 9 credits, he wouldn't be allowed to purchase it. Could the paypal plugin kick-in as a failsafe, to enter the amount of credits necessary to buy the domain?

12. FedorK

FedorK Mega Poster

KonstantinosS,

PBAS can't work with credits. PBAS provider and resellers should has agreement. That is why resellers are created manually.

I create feature request for automatically create resellers, feature id for you reference PBAS-29809.

13. KonstantinosS

Hi Fedor,

Many thanks for the feature request!

As for the credits, I know that there are no credits in PBAS. What I don't know, and perhaps you can tell me if it's possible, is to force a positive balance for the reseller as a fail-safe mechanism to protect against such issues. I think, but I'm not at all sure if it's doable, that I've seen an option called Credit Terms, could it be possible to force a reseller to have a specific credit term (ie. minimum balance) during the application and creation of the account process?

I think, that this may solve the issue with domains, as it would automatically reduce the balance already paid from the reseller to the provider. That would work in roughly the same way eNom and a few other domain registration companies work, where you pre-pay an amount of money in order to have the ability to purchase domains. When that amount ends, you have to add more money to the company in order to have the ability to pay for new domains.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015