PStorage - client serviced more than 8000 ms

Discussion in 'Installation, Update and Configuration' started by futureweb, May 10, 2016.

1. futureweb

futureweb Tera Poster

Hello,
    getting some Errors on our PStorage - not much ... should I care about them or is it "normal" that they can happen?

Thx
    Andreas Schnederle-Wagner

2. Pavel

Pavel A.I. Auto-Responder Odin Team

Hello Andreas

These messages indicate some slowdown on pstorage side. According to messages posted pstorage-mount is slowing things down - disks and network is fine.
    Basically it means that some I\O request took longer than 8 seconds to complete. According to your logs - the delay is always in pstorage-mount.

I've been hearing about this problem more and more often recently, I believe it's not a coincidence, and needs to be investigated properly.
    Please contact support - this smells like a bug we need to investigate.

3. futureweb

futureweb Tera Poster

alright - opened Ticket #2054003 for this Case!

4. Pavel

Ok, thanks.
    I've seen recommendation - it does make sense. It might not solve the problem entirely but should make things better.
    Please note, cpuunits configuration is not reflecting some actual limit - it shows container's weight, cpu time share container gets. Also, node's processes have their own share which is defined in /etc/vz/vz.conf as VE0CPUUNITS= value.

Having node CPUUNITS at 1000 and containers' CPUUNITS at 10k+ or even 100k causes CPU scheduling suffocation for node's processes. Since pstorage-mount is one of them you should consider increasing cpuunits for the node, or decreasing all the cpuunits for containers to make them more reasonable. I.e. decreasing all cpuunits of containers by 100 times you'll keep the same distribution of the cpu time share, however, will grant a bit more time for the ve0 processes.

Besides, to avoid scheduling issues for containers with a small share it's recommended to keep min and max CPUUNITS among the containers not too far away. Like, max shouldn't be larger than min*10.
    Take a look at "vzcpucheck -v" or "vzlist -aHo ctid,cpuunits" and you'll see that your environment is optimal in terms of cpuunits.

5. futureweb

futureweb Tera Poster

alright - I configured it now that Root Node got 500.000 CPUUNITS and CTs get 50.000 CPUUNITS - will then adjust Containers based on how important they are ... but not that wide spread as before ... ;-)

Unfortunately it did not solve the "8000 ms" Problem ... got another Warning a few Minutes ago! :-/

11-05-16 14:02:10 CLN WRN IO requests on client #2224 serviced more than 8000 ms

Also updated Ticket

ps) What about CTID 1 - it got only 1000 Units per default - should I also set it to 50k?

6. Pavel

It might not resolve the issue entirely, but at least improve situation. Can you assess the volume of messages before and after?
    Also, you can renice pstorage-mount process to give it a higher priority.
    E.g.
    Code:
    # renice -n -19 -p $(pgrep pstorage-mount)
    Or, you can use another nice value of your choice.

7. futureweb

futureweb Tera Poster

alright - will try this one. But Root Nodes are NOT short on CPU ... so this should normally be no problem?!?
    When restarting a Node participating within PStorage - it's normal to have lot's of those Errors?!?

Shouldn't the Client request the Data from another CS sooner?

8. Pavel

You're missing the point. Problem is not in the actual load in CPU, but the scheduling latency. Supposedly.
    Restarting a node shouldn't trigger such messages. These are not errors - just a warnings for a long I\O.

That's not how it works. "Write" operation is not considered complete until data is successfully written to all chunks involved in I\O.

9. futureweb

futureweb Tera Poster

alright ... now I got it! ;-)
    Unfortunately I'm not really experienced with CPU Scheduling ... if that's the "problem" - what can we do?! :)

10. Pavel

Dear Andreas,

It's a bad idea to discuss this in parallel with support and on a forum with me simultaneously. That throws in a lot of confusion.
    I'll let support do their job ;)

11. futureweb

futureweb Tera Poster

alright - let's see what they come up with! ;-)

12. SteveITS

SteveITS Mega Poster

I posted in a different thread recently...after we upgraded our RAID controller firmware and Intel SSD drive firmware these incidents went way down and almost disappeared. I suspect the Intel SSD firmware since even though we're using the recommended model we had some really wonky behavior on a Windows server made late last year until we updated those drives' firmware.

Intel has updated the drive firmware multiple times in the past six months.

13. futureweb

futureweb Tera Poster

Hi Steve,
    thx for your input. We are using Samsung SM863 SSDs. Will check if there is a new Firmware.

14. SteveITS

SteveITS Mega Poster

15. Pavel

Steve, that's quite interesting. Although that would only help if you have the "overflow" messages, I assume

16. futureweb

futureweb Tera Poster

Hi Steve,
    thx for pointing that our - but "unfortunately" no overflow messages on our Servers ... just lot's of "client serviced more than 8000 ms" Errors we can't get rid of ... and that on a SSD only Storage Sub-System ... ;-)

17. SteveITS

SteveITS Mega Poster

Pavel, I agree that logically it should only affect the neighbour overflow message. I forgot to mention that I did go back and look, and most of our recent "8000 ms" instances did not get the "neighbour" message. However the only other change was a week earlier (the 11th) when we installed update 11 hotfix 11, and we got both messages after that (the 16th). However we have not had the "8000 ms" warning since. If I do see one I'll post back but I think this our longest period by far.

Edit: the behavior for the "neighbour" issue was different also...the CS was up and down over (from memory) 10 minutes or thereabouts. Usually we get just 1-3 "8000 ms" event entries.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016