PSBM nightly container backups

Discussion in 'Performance Questions' started by atoponce, Sep 5, 2013.

1. atoponce

atoponce Bit Poster

I don't see a "Parallels Server Bare Metal 5" forum, so I'm posting here. Please let me know if there is a better forum for this question.

We have three PSBM servers doing nightly backups of customer containers to a storage server. These backups kick off during the evening, and last a 2-3 hours. During the time, the disk is 100% pegged, and any sites hosted on these hardware nodes cannot be accessed, causing an outage. Is it possible to "ionice" these backups, so the disk is still accessible during this time, and sites can still be accessed reliably? During the backup window, the disk is ~90% utilized for a good hour.

Also, is it possible to stagger the backups, so they don't all start at the same time? We are using POA 5.4 to manage the backup plan and the nodes, and I only see an option for setting a single time to backup all containers simultaneously. If we could stagger the backups over, say a 6 hour period, the disk would not be hit so hard, and customer sites could still be accessed.

2. atoponce

atoponce Bit Poster

Ok. Just found "VZ_TOOLS_BCID" and "VZ_TOOLS_IOLIMIT" in /etc/vz/vz.conf. I'll give these settings a try, and see how we fare. I'll post a follow up after I see the next scheduled rounds of backups.

3. AnhPhuong

AnhPhuong Bit Poster

hi. i don't understand.

4. manhthang13787

manhthang13787 Bit Poster

Yes, mee too

5. KristianM

KristianM Product Expert

Hi,

@AnhPhuong & @manhthang13787

What exactly did you not understand.

To Limit Disk I/O used for backups, you can edit /etc/vz/vz.conf.
    The above mentioned parameters will allow you to limit I/O for all Backup and Migration Tasks.

Regards,
    Kristian