Processor driver for windows 2000

Discussion in 'Containers and Virtual Machines Discussion' started by DomingoM, Apr 27, 2011.

1. DomingoM

DomingoM Bit Poster

Hi,

I have a problem with a virtual machine running windows 2000 server. The CPU usage in the parallels console for this virtual machine is always high near 100%. But into the VM, the taskmanager show a low CPU usage near 0%.

I was looking in the knownledge database, and found the solutions of reinstall the driver processor for windows XP. But it is not posible for windows 2000.

I tried to reinstall parallels tools, but it locks at first reboot. Afterwards, the CPU usage has the same problem.

Can anybody point me a step to follow it.

Thanks.

2. DomingoM

DomingoM Bit Poster

PROBLEM SOLVED!.

Thanks to parallels support team.
    This is their response:
    -----------------------------
    Idle thread is cycled in busy loop, and does not
    call HALT cpu instruction, and it does not allow to switch CPU to host.

This is likely to happen with old windows version. In our case Windows 2000

Workaround in this case is:
    - replace HAL driver inside guest, from current version (that cycled idle thread in busy loop) to some advanced version
    (that will call HALT to do not load CPUs).

To change the installed HAL:

Please, use this on a test VM first.

1. Click Start , point to Settings , click Control Panel , then double-click System .
    2. Click the Hardware tab, then click Device Manager .
    3. Double-click Computer . Under computer is the currently installed HAL. Double-click installed HAL , click the Driver tab, then click Update Driver .
    4. The Upgrade wizard will start, click Next , select Display a List of Known Drivers¿ , then click Next . Select Show all hardware of this device class , select the appropriate HAL from list, then click Next and follow wizard instructions to complete the update.

Possible values for the HAL under standard computers include:
    ACPI Multiprocessor PC
    ACPI Uniprocessor PC
    Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
    MPS Multiprocessor PC
    MPS Uniprocessor PC
    Standard PC

I assume, you need to change it to "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" and have more than one CPU assigned to the VM.
    ------------------------------
    In my case, "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" was selected, I changed to "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC".

3. GailC

GailC Bit Poster

Parallels high CPU usage with Windows 2000 VM

We ported a Windows 2000 Server environment to run under Parallels Server on a Mac Mini. The VM booted correctly but Parallels Management Console reported virtually 100% CPU and very high memory utilisation, causing the Mac Mini to run its fans furiously and continuously. The VM (Task Manager) reported virtually zero usage. We followed the steps above, and the problem was resolved. The system was left about four weeks while other areas of the MAC OS X environment were configured and tested. Time to restart the W2K VM for a final test before considering the port a success, and the fans were roaring again. Unusable.

We have changed from one ACPI configuration to another, in Device Manager (restoring the system after a foray into MPS Multiprocessor!). If we select a uniprocessor configuration the system is quiet and predictable (and useless for the targeted app), but any multiprocessor configuration is a problem. The Task Manager still reports 99% System Idle in the process list, but the Management Console is still defiant.

Can anyone help please as we have a client waiting on a successful testing outcome (his current server is on its last legs and we need to be able to port the existing environment while he waits for a slot with a trainer for his new system)?

The Mac OS X is Lion 10.7.2 running iRAPP TS 1.9 and Parallels supporting a Ubuntu and a W2K VM.