PPA is dead, what to do?

Discussion in 'Plesk Automation Suggestions and Feedback' started by JanPPP, Mar 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JanPPP

JanPPP Kilo Poster

Hey,
    PPA is dead. Do you have any plans for future? Do you wait for hosting module for OAE? Or do you migrate to another solution like Plesk with Multi server module, ISPConfig, home-grown solution? Thanks for your replies and suggestions!

2. SteveITS

SteveITS Tera Poster

Hi Jan, the two main problems we have with OAE are that it costs in addition to the Plesk licenses required on every node, and that it requires billing run through OAE. The former I would guess would probably result in 5x or more than our cost for PPA alone (OAE already being more than our PPA cost, at the $499/mo price I most recently saw), while the latter would cause problems for our existing billing system that is fully integrated with our ticketing/billing/management software.

Plesk Multi-Server doesn't currently support dedicated mail nodes, centralized DNS, or Windows, though those are on their roadmap. They say they'll help migrate but I don't know how they could accomplish that until it is more finished, in a year or two. A Plesk license would also be necessary for every service node as I understand it.

Overall, we're kind of depressed and looking for options...

3. JanPPP

JanPPP Kilo Poster

Wow, OAE seems to be very pricey. We are investigating migration to multiple standalone Plesk Onyx servers with WHMCS and modules its for "server balancing".

4. SteveITS

SteveITS Tera Poster

I should amend my post to say the Plesk part of the pricing is much less than the $30 I remembered...the low end being $5/month and the upper end is $15 for a VPS. Multi-Server is $10/month in addition to that.

In post http://forum.odin.com/threads/plesk-automation-roadmap.336531 it was stated OAE was $1000/mo, and I thought I'd been told $599, but now it's at $499 plus a free year, so maybe they're having trouble convincing people to convert...

5. acruse2

acruse2 Bit Poster

Similar thoughts here. Plesk multiserver seems like a good fit, but only once updates 3 + 4 are out. (https://docs.plesk.com/en-US/onyx/multi-server-guide/about-plesk-multi-server/roadmap.77464/) Without central mail, DNS, and Windows support it just won't work. OAE doesn't really seem like a hosting product -- it's provisioning software with Plesk Onyx bolted on. Really don't love the fact that you'll still be dealing with two entities there, Odin and Plesk...that's caused me enough heartburn in the last 6 months with PPA that I'm not anxious to continue with that arrangement.

6. SteveITS

SteveITS Tera Poster

One thing I learned since my last post is that Multi Server doesn't have a way to tie a customer to a service node, like PPA's attributes can do. So a new subscription will be put on any active node, though once there it sounds like everything under that subscription will be put on that node. So maybe disable all service nodes after creation, and only enable one when creating a new subscription? I don't know if that will affect new webspace creation under an existing subscription, though. Plus that is tedious and error-prone.

Also, on the Plesk forum they stated that "Windows support" means "you can run an entire second Multi Server installation on Windows VMs" and DOES NOT mean "you can add a Windows service node to Multi Server." Ugh. (https://talk.plesk.com/threads/windows-linux-mix.340318/#post-813027) Apparently Plesk is considering using SmarterMail for their centralized mail server which would mean one Windows node...for a paid email server.

OAE is more like a turnkey web hosting platform, since it includes the billing. However you're right that since it doesn't include Virtuozzo or Plesk software, it is up to Odin to keep up to date with these other programs, which they don't control. I'm guessing credit card fees for said billing are not included in OAE either.

So basically Multi Server sounds like it gets us a central place to log in, and if we wait long enough central DNS. I'm OK with not having centralized mail. And then we'd need a separate Plesk install for our Windows node. Multi Server's webmail redirects to the appropriate service node, and we could probably set up our own webmail site like PPA has, with some effort. So $10 x 25 service nodes is $250/month for a central login page?