Possibility of PA Auto-updater, share your ideas?

Discussion in 'Plesk Automation Suggestions and Feedback' started by Starl1ght, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Starl1ght

Starl1ght Just a cat

Hi guys, I am working on auto-update feature in PA.
    Current plan is simple script, which will put cron task, which will check for update, run it if necessary, and report on success or failure to admin's mailbox.

What features you think should be added here? Or maybe some other ideas to share?

P.S.
    We reviewed all support tickets for latest year, there are no issues with auto-updates like at all :)
    P.P.S.
    It will work only via microupdates, you won't get unexpected update to 11.6 :)

2. telisp

telisp Kilo Poster

Well, for me a notice that there is an update would be enough. I don't want the updates to be installed automatically... Let this do the admin.
    More important it would be to get some features done...

3. Starl1ght

Starl1ght Just a cat

Btw, why? Majority Plesk customers are using auto-update.

4. telisp

telisp Kilo Poster

Update means: some old errors are replaced with new ones. So a serious admin will do this himself and test if everything works as expected.
    Autoupdate on a friday night? Well - happy weekend...

5. greenlights

greenlights Bit Poster

I totally agree with telisp.

When PPA gets as stable as Plesk Panel, this becomes a possible option.
    Right now updates causing too much trouble to install them unattended.

We really appreciate the improvements in the last months with many bug fixes.
    There is still a long way to go with making current features like "backup manager" work.

6. RodolfoE

RodolfoE Kilo Poster

I would agree with other features being more important than the ability to auto update, specially for a cluster of servers.

7. Alex.V

Alex.V Kilo Poster

I think an optional auto-update would be good but not automatically enabled.

Also, how about being able to update through the panel instead of SSH?

8. Starl1ght

Starl1ght Just a cat

I like this idea, I'll check, if it is possible to implement this.

9. efisher@

efisher@ Bit Poster

I would be concerned about the case where there external things that need to get updated. The perfect example is with the last update... it required an updated WHMCS module to be installed and configurations in WHMCS to be updated. How will you avoid an issue with these cases? I would also suggest that you must have a flawless health check. With standalone Plesk, there is only one server, but with PPA, you could easily have 10 or 20 servers and if any one of those servers is not healthy, then the update may fail half way through and you'd end up with a questionable environment.

10. Starl1ght

Starl1ght Just a cat

Health check is already implemented in PPA updater, so, it wont start if not sure, that everything is alright.
    Regarding WHMCS - this is design problem. It's separate thing from PPA MUs, and it's already separated from regular microupdate schedule\routine.

11. efisher@

efisher@ Bit Poster

I understand that updating WHMCS is not part of the MU, but for 11.5 MU 11, we were instructed that it was "required" to update the WHMCS settings or they would not work anymore. The point is that if there are future updates that would require similar external changes, then I don't want this to be automatic.

12. Dave W

Dave W Kilo Poster

You could just have Auto-update disabled by default and leave it up to the Admin if they want to use it or not?

hostman098 likes this.
  13. hostman098

hostman098 Bit Poster

+1

As always, I believe people have different opinions about features, so just make it OPTIONAL.
    I personally would NOT use the auto update function. (at least not on the CP and PBA). MAYBE I would use it on the other nodes such as web/mail and so on.