Plesk Automation Roadmap?

Discussion in 'Plesk Automation Suggestions and Feedback' started by TekWorks, Feb 17, 2016.

1. SteveITS

SteveITS Mega Poster

So I was in the Ingram Micro webinar for OAE yesterday (https://ingrammicroevents.webex.com/ingrammicroevents/lsr.php?RCID=64d1de956a985ce1e6a75e674a0aab8d). I missed the time frame specifics, and they didn't record the Q&A session afterwards, but overall they said PPA would reach end of life I think the end of this year (?) and revert to "maintenance" next year. The Hosting Provider Edition of OAE isn't due until spring 2017.

Odin doesn't have a migration plan from PPA to OAE yet but requested anyone interested contact them. The email I received afterward included, "Odin Automation Essentials will replace Plesk Automation" as well as "I need commitment from a few Plesk Automation customers to purchase OA Essentials Hosting Provider Edition in order to justify development of migration tools." I'm not sure I should post Alex's email address in the forum but it's in the webinar, towards the end if I recall. So I suggest anyone interested contact him and/or Odin.

No upgrade discount discount was discussed however it sounds like monthly fees would end up higher than PPA.

2. CraigLeary

CraigLeary Bit Poster

Personally if it comes down to no migration tool and PPA essentially being dead - I have no reason to just default to the new OAE.

I like the clustered set up, but the development has always been slower, the features lacking compared to stand alone and I'm not seeing any progress on the upcoming road map.

3. SteveITS

SteveITS Mega Poster

I was told in email that it would have "No support for external billing." If that means we have to bill through OAE that could actually become a minor a problem for us because we are, this week, switching our billing to be even more integrated with our time/billing software which also handles recurring billing.

4. acruse

acruse Bit Poster

So it's been a few months since this discussion was updated. Where are we now? Plesk 11.x is EOL in a few days, I'm currently having trouble getting Plesk to sell me another Plesk Automation Service Node license, but we don't seem to have any viable upgrade path from Plesk Automation.

5. acruse2

acruse2 Bit Poster

I'm told the hosting functionality in Odin Automation Essentials will be available around March, with a migration tool for PPA scheduled to be available around June, which is all great news. But, we still need to use PPA in the meantime. I've been trying all week to get a new service node license from Plesk and am being told that since Plesk Automation service node licenses are based on Plesk 11.5 which is now in extended support that new licenses can't be purchased. Does anyone have a contact or a magic word to say to the folks at Plesk to get around this? I'm not sure how we're supposed to wait until next summer to migrate to OAE if we can't continue to license service nodes in PPA.

6. SteveITS

SteveITS Mega Poster

Wow that's bad if they won't let you operate. We are under the "number of websites" model so aren't limited by the service nodes (200/500/1000 websites, etc.). Will they let you change licensing types?

The problem is that if Odin Automation Essentials costs more and insists on handling billing it isn't a solution for everyone. The alternative is some sort of undefined migration to Plesk...even though all mail accounts are on our mail service nodes and I assume we would have to move those out to each service node...?

7. acruse2

acruse2 Bit Poster

That's an interesting idea, I'll check w/ Odin and see if changing the licensing model is possible. OAE starts at $1k/mo or 5% revenue share, whichever is greater, so depending on your circumstances, may be considerably more expensive than PPA. Apparently the billing functionality is integral to OAE and there are no plans to include support for 3rd-party billing solutions. I think the idea is that if you need that you should be looking at the (even more expensive) Odin Automation Premium. That said, the billing functionality in OAE is interesting -- you may be able to replace your 3rd-party billing software with OAE...at the end of the day OAE is really a billing and provisioning engine -- the hosting bit is just a module you plug into it.

8. SteveITS

SteveITS Mega Poster

Our issue is that hosting isn't our central function, it's about 30% of revenue. We use ConnectWise for time tracking and billing. We recently moved to a billing portal that integrates with it. So basically we'd have to run two parallel billing systems, with clients updating info in each. In ConnectWise maybe we could set up $0 hosting contracts so they wouldn't bill. If OAE pushes data to QuickBooks, our new billing portal would pick that up and try to pay it again (if it wasn't marked paid when put into QuickBooks).

The revenue share/"whichever is greater" would be why they require the billing to be through OAE. They want to know the revenue. At $1000/mo that would be way above what we're paying now...we're less than that with PPA and our Virtuozzo licenses.

There is some level of API support for not-currently-supported billing systems. I had an email discussion with someone about it and briefly discussed maybe writing a stub "everything gets marked paid" API. But then we would need to bill everything again, and if a customer ordered an SSL cert or new VPS online we'd have to remember to bill for it, or eat the cost.

9. AndreasK

AndreasK Mega Poster

Plesk Automation is dead now! We receive this Mail yesterday... Great work! Thanks