Performance issue

Discussion in 'PSA 5.0 Troubleshooting and Problems' started by j0ntar, Feb 15, 2003.

1. j0ntar

j0ntar Guest

I have just upgraded to Plesk 5.0.4 and i have notice a huge decrease in performance.

Php Pages load extremely slow. This happens with all Php pages, specially vbulletin forums.

Can anyone think of a few areas for me to look at to see what the issue could be?

2. planetjay

planetjay Guest

I just installed 5.0.5. Same thing, HTML is fine PHP is real slow. Even a simple page with 2 includes and some text. Anyone know a secret cure?

3. phoenixisp

phoenixisp Guru

What version of php?

4. planetjay

planetjay Guest

5. atomicturtle

atomicturtle Product Expert

STD or RPM?

6. planetjay

planetjay Guest

7. atomicturtle

Did you modify anything on your own? Like apache, php, the kernel, etc?

8. jimroe

jimroe Guru

I know this is blasphemy to all who like the latest PHP version, but I see an awful lot of posts relating to problems with PHP when the version is beyond the Red Hat version, but almost no problems on any servers I work with that stick to the Red Hat PHP version.

There's a reason that Red Hat is still at 4.1.2

9. atomicturtle

Oh yeah, I agree completely. If you don't have a reason to upgrade something truely complex like php and/or apache, then dont. Just because you know how to type ./configure && make && make install doesn't mean you should.

The redhat implementations of both apache, and php are far far more elegant and flexible than anything else out there Ive seen so far (including our STD build, hence the reason its going away). They've done a fantastic job on QA.

Now if youre playing around with something new, that requires functions only found in a newer version, (like horde for example), thats different. Caveat emptor!

10. planetjay

planetjay Guest

I just leased the server from ServePath. They installed 5.0.3. Not sure what if anything they changed. I upgraded to 5.0.5. I had turned off Safe Mode for PHP, but turned back on by restoring the factory php.ini. (No change)

I have since added "output_buffering = 2097152" which seemed to help a bit, but it's still no where near as snappy as other servers that I have seen. Sometimes there is a pause as long as a minute before the page starts coming in.

I have tested every website I have setup. Every HTML page is quick. Every PHP page is slow. Even if the page just has "<?php phpinfo(); ?>" on it.

I have also noticed that if I refresh a few times, it seems to help. With no use for a while it slows back down. It's almost like PHP shuts down and has to load from HD.

I also went to the "medium" my.cnf at one point to make sure MySQL wasn't the problem. Later I realized it was all PHP files, but decided to leave it there since I have alot of RAM. Even with this and output buffering in PHP, I'm still under 128 megs used, and over 512megs free. I doubt throwing more RAM at the buffering would help since the other servers I have access to have lower settings. Also CPU useage is is always 0.00% real and average. So no problem there.

On the version subject:
    The 2 servers that I have accounts on that ARE snappy, are running 4.2.3. I would have no problems upgrading. But that raises several other questions. Do I go up to 4.2.3 or back to 4.1.2? Will that cause problems with future upgrades?

11. phoenixisp

phoenixisp Guru

If you run a search on php4.2.3 I you'll find a few threads, and most of them about problems. 4.2.3 and Plesk don't play well together.

12. planetjay

planetjay Guest

Ok so no 4.2.3.

I did make another change today. Turned SafeMode Off again. Seems real speedy now.

So now I'm confused. :confused:

13. rthrash@

rthrash@ Kilo Poster

We've installed PHP 4.3 on RH 7.3 and we're noticing some sporadic slowness...

I really hope Plesk will offer a patch that supports PHP 4.3 with full performance!

14. atomicturtle

This could have a lot to do with the way you built PHP 4.3. Did you roll your own, or use an RPM?

15. nightwalker

nightwalker Kilo Poster

Check out PHPA, it solved our PHP problems with large complex sites, its comparable to Zend, but its free. Its both a cache/optimizer.

http://www.php-accelerator.co.uk/

16. Laurence@

Laurence@ Guru

We noticed no slowdown since our upgrade to 4.2.2. :confused:

17. j0ntar

j0ntar Guest

mostly the issue has to do with php not being a apache module anymore. php as a module is very very quick were as in plesk 5.0 (rpm) its not..

18. atomicturtle

PHP is a module in the RPM version, do you mean perhaps that php isn't statically compiled into apache? We stopped doing that on the STD build in version 2.0.

Performance wise, having php built as a module is only going to show an effect when the DSO is initially loaded at start time. The major effect of running php as a module, vs. being compiled into apache directly is that it will consume less memory, as every child process in a statically build daemon will be larger.

In general, in the tests Ive run redhat's implementation of apache/php/mysql outperform the std build. With a few caveats, on older hardware like pentium and pentium-2's the std build is faster. Depending on what youre doing of course. In every test I've done so far the biggest performance increase Ive seen has been to an increase ram, and most importantly disk IO.