PCS6 --> VZ7 with VZ Storage

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by futureweb, Feb 16, 2017.

1. futureweb

futureweb Tera Poster

Hey there,
    just evaluating an upgrade of our PCS6 + PStorage Cluster to VZ7 + VZStorage.
    Are there any real world experiences with In-Place upgrades? Problems with upgrade? Seamless upgrade? (http://docs.virtuozzo.com/virtuozzo...zzo-sto/upgrading-in-place-with-vstorage.html)
    Or would it be better to start a new Cluster from scratch?
    As it's a productive System - we don't want to risk unexpected downtimes ... ;-)
    thx
    Andreas Schnederle-Wagner

2. Pavel

Pavel A.I. Auto-Responder Odin Team

Hello,

Hybrid clusters work just fine. You can add both vz6 and vz7 hosts to the same cluster.
    As long as there are any vz6 hosts in the cluster - storage services will work on a "vz6 patchlevel". Once it's vz7-only - it will operate on "vz7 patchlevel" automatically.

I do not recommend using in-place upgrade function - it's a last resort for those who cannot do it any other way (no other host to offload VEs to).
    In-place upgrade takes a lot longer to complete than a simple re-install, probably including the offloading(there's heavy scripting and analyzing which requires a lot of time), and has some risks to fail (e.g. to leave host in non-operable state). It was thoroughly tested, and chances to "brick" the server are low, but I'd recommend a clean installation anyway since it's faster, less downtime and 100% reliable.

So, scenario I'm suggesting is simple:
    1) offload host
    2) reinstall host
    3) join host in cluster
    4) migrate environment back

3. futureweb

futureweb Tera Poster

alright - thx 4 info!
    Hope I will find some time to do the upgrade within the next few months ... :)

4. SteveITS

SteveITS Mega Poster

5. SteveITS

SteveITS Mega Poster

Hi, is it just a straight join to the VZ6/PCS6 cluster, like if you were installling a new VZ6 node?

I understand your point about starting clean but it's harder to do that without going to the data center which could turn into a day or longer project, and the blower noise is exhausting after a while. My thought was to move all containers off each hardware node, upgrade it, then move the containers back on.

6. Pavel

Pavel A.I. Auto-Responder Odin Team

Hello Steve,

Sorry for a very late reply - for some reason forum did not notify me about new replies to this thread, and it got lost.
    There is nothing special about joining vz7 into vz6 - just join the host into an existing cluster as you normally do.

P.S. it would be best if you updated vz6 hosts to the latest versions before doing so