PCS6 --> VZ7 with VZ Storage

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by futureweb, Feb 16, 2017.

1. futureweb

futureweb Tera Poster

Hey there,
    just evaluating an upgrade of our PCS6 + PStorage Cluster to VZ7 + VZStorage.
    Are there any real world experiences with In-Place upgrades? Problems with upgrade? Seamless upgrade? (http://docs.virtuozzo.com/virtuozzo...zzo-sto/upgrading-in-place-with-vstorage.html)
    Or would it be better to start a new Cluster from scratch?
    As it's a productive System - we don't want to risk unexpected downtimes ... ;-)
    thx
    Andreas Schnederle-Wagner

2. Pavel

Pavel A.I. Auto-Responder Odin Team

Hello,

Hybrid clusters work just fine. You can add both vz6 and vz7 hosts to the same cluster.
    As long as there are any vz6 hosts in the cluster - storage services will work on a "vz6 patchlevel". Once it's vz7-only - it will operate on "vz7 patchlevel" automatically.

I do not recommend using in-place upgrade function - it's a last resort for those who cannot do it any other way (no other host to offload VEs to).
    In-place upgrade takes a lot longer to complete than a simple re-install, probably including the offloading(there's heavy scripting and analyzing which requires a lot of time), and has some risks to fail (e.g. to leave host in non-operable state). It was thoroughly tested, and chances to "brick" the server are low, but I'd recommend a clean installation anyway since it's faster, less downtime and 100% reliable.

So, scenario I'm suggesting is simple:
    1) offload host
    2) reinstall host
    3) join host in cluster
    4) migrate environment back

3. futureweb

futureweb Tera Poster

alright - thx 4 info!
    Hope I will find some time to do the upgrade within the next few months ... :)

4. SteveITS

SteveITS Mega Poster