Parallels Cloud Server: feedback and suggestions

Discussion in 'Installation, Update and Configuration' started by Andrew@Parallels, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Kilo Poster

Dear Forum Participants,

Are you as excited about Parallels Cloud Server as we are? We would like to hear your thoughts!
    Want to know more? You can download a white paper on Parallels Cloud Server or by visiting http://www.parallels.com/products/pcs/

Please share your thoughts in this forum thread!

2. Mohd IzharM

Mohd IzharM Kilo Poster

Hi andrew,

I have successfully install PCS 6.0 and planning to fully use this platform by end of this year. However i'm having some difficulties to create a container for PBA5.4 here are the error. Do you have any idea or advice what should i do?

zctl create 10 --ostemplate centos-6-x86
    Cached package set 'centos-6-x86' is not found, run create cache utility...
    Creating OS template cache for centos-6-x86 template
    Creating delta /vz/tmp//vzpkg.IMJZ55/root.hds bs=2048 size=20971520 sectors
    add snapshot {5fbaabe3-6958-40ff-92a7-860e329aab41}
    Storing /vz/tmp/vzpkg.IMJZ55/DiskDescriptor.xml
    Can't open device /proc/vz/ploop_minor: No such file or directory
    Dropping image /vz/tmp/vzpkg.IMJZ55/root.hds
    Error: "/usr/sbin/ploop init -s 10485760K -f ploop1 -t ext4 /vz/tmp//vzpkg.IMJZ55/root.hds" return 2
    Error: system(/usr/sbin/ploop init -s 10485760K -f ploop1 -t ext4 /vz/tmp//vzpkg.IMJZ55/root.hds) error
    Error: Cannot create ploop device
    Can't parse /vz/tmp//vzpkg.IMJZ55/DiskDescriptor.xml
    Error: "/usr/sbin/ploop umount /vz/tmp//vzpkg.IMJZ55/DiskDescriptor.xml" return 39
    Error: system(/usr/sbin/ploop umount /vz/tmp//vzpkg.IMJZ55/DiskDescriptor.xml) error

3. parallelsbox

parallelsbox Kilo Poster

The only problem I see with PCS is the limited options of selling it, PBAS is very limited and only allow to sell virtual machine templates and not resources like it does with containers.

4. XuânL

XuânL Bit Poster

I have successfully install PCS 6.0 and planning to fully use this platform by end of this year. However i'm having some difficulties to create a container for PBA5.4 here are the error. Do you have any idea or advice what should i do?

5. AkshathaM

AkshathaM Bit Poster

Hi,

This is the parallel cloud sever installation process.

Install the latest version of Parallels Cloud Server, disable PVA agent installation.

Add EPEL repo:

yum install -y http://mirror.logol.ru/epel/6/x86_64/epel-release-6-8.noarch.rpm

Install mod_wsgi

yum install -y http://repo.cloudlinux.com/cloudlinux/6.5/migrate/x86_64/Packages/mod_wsgi-3.2-3.el6.x86_64.rpm

Update system:

yum update -y

Add OpenStack icehouse repo:

http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos...ouse/epel-6/rdo-release-icehouse-4.noarch.rpm

Install packstack

yum install -y openstack-packstack

packstack sets up ssh key authentication, so remove old ones:

rm .ssh/*

Edit /etc/modprobe.d/parallels.conf, set

options nf_conntrack ip_conntrack_disable_ve0=0
    options kvm-intel vmm_exclusive=0

Reboot system. This is important, iptables nat table must be available during openstack setup.

run packstack:

packstack --allinone

wait for a long time (1-2 hours).

install pcs-nova-driver

yum install -y git
    git clone https://github.com/Parallels/pcs-nova-driver.git
    cd pcs-nova-driver
    python setup.py install

6. grin

grin Bit Poster

Hello, feedback here.

Tried PCS6-SP1 on a QEMU virtual machine, installing from DVD. It was more or less a good experience.

First it started with a nonworking keyboard, possibly some RHEL bug (I'm a Debian guy so I always get angry when meeting with redhat bugzilla and "you're not authorised to read this bugreport"). Gotta move over VNC console.

Then there was aplenty of "you cannot install this because you need at least that amount of hdd", stop vm, allocate a bigger disk, repeat. (I do not remember seeing such large minimum disk space requirements in the docs, but maybe I was simply overlooking.)

Final state was 2 disks, one small and one really big (for a test, that's it). Turns out that if I select a wrong device at the beginning I cannot change it no matter how many Back button I press. (So it have selected the _larger_ disk for the system and was sticking to it.) Possibly should've been restarting again but I wasn't in the mood. (I imagine with a physical server and ... okay, doesn't matter.)

Then the install choked immediately on "allocate the whole disk" option (something about LVM not being able to install) and the Net told me to give up and create partitions manually. Great, except I didn't have handy what PCS6 actually wants (since, you see, I was trying it for the zeroth time). So I have guessed and were treated by "you cannot go on without XXX messages" several times.

From there it went pretty well (since there were no input to answer), until the package counter reached 100% (the last thing was some fuse-dev package IIRC). And it stayed there ("continue" grayed out, progress meter 100%, packages NN/NN) for probably well more than 3 hours. I lost patience but thought "hey let it wait till morning, it's pretty impossible that it'll go on but let me see". And lo, in the morning it was moved on and reached the "congrats, install complete" screen.

Now I'm about to reboot it and see what's up. I send the comment in case it's blowing up and I'd follow. :)

7. alexi

alexi Odin Team

Test, please disregard