New name server issues for existing plans

Discussion in 'Installation and "How-To" Questions' started by IATechsupport, Oct 17, 2016.

1. IATechsupport

IATechsupport Kilo Poster

Hi

Is there a way to rollout a new name server to all exisiting subscriptions on our system.

We have added the name server so it auto adds for new subscriptions but we need to add the name server as well as the NS dns item for all old subscriptions.

thanks

2. SteveITS

SteveITS Mega Poster

I'm not familiar with OBAS but if it's like PPA we had to add the new NS to the subscription and then set the domain to use external DNS servers and back to internal. There is a scriptable way to do the external/internal switch for PPA, for all domains.

3. IATechsupport

A bit more detail:
    We have 1312 domain registrations, most with the original Default NameServer Set (which has now been edited to include the additional new name server) which had only 3 name servers.
    This also leads to another issue of fail over not working on domains that do not have the new NS added to there dns.

We need to find a way to 1) add the new NS to all domain registrations. 2) Update all domain registrations with the new NS record

I hope that explains it a bit more :)

4. dkolvakh

dkolvakh Odin Team

Hello.

As I remember, OBAS 4.5.6 has an option to bulk change nameservers\nameservers sets for domains.

5. IATechsupport

It certainly does and I found it tested it on a few domains to see the results and all looked ok.
    Run it on all domains which worked for the most part, but what else happened caused alot of problems.

What I wasn't aware of is that if you have domains with no dns hosting ie its being done elsewhere, the bulk update changes all of them to hosted dns and updates with
    our named servers and no other dns entries.

Not so good.

6. dkolvakh

dkolvakh Odin Team

Hello. Thank you, we will investigate this issue and fix if it will be confirmed.

7. Vadim Ivanov

Vadim Ivanov Kilo Poster

Hello,

I could not reproduce your case with bulk change name servers for domains registered elsewhere with not included DNS hosting service. Those domains were skipped during processing.
    Could you please describe reproduce steps in more details?

8. IATechsupport

I did nothing special, just used Domain Manager > Domains - option "Change Name Servers" and on our system which is
    PBAS-4.5.6-33 it certainly didn't skip domains, fortunately there was only a few registered elsewhere with DNS not on our servers.

9. Vadim Ivanov

Vadim Ivanov Kilo Poster

Hello,

I have only one explanation of the case. Change of NSes for registered elsewhere domains was enabled in the hotfix hspc-domain-manager-4.5.6-37.swsoft.x86_64.rpm (and will be enabled in the next OBAS release 4.5.7). But initial release 4.5.6 lacks the possibility to change NSes of registered elsewhere domains.

Here are changes description of the hotfix:
    + ability to bulk change NS records for registered elsewhere domains among with NS servers change for registered/transferred domains
    * skip old NS record from deletion if it exists in new NS set, when switch to provider NS set from custom
    * filter dublicates between zones, to not make named mad

10. IATechsupport