NAT support?

Discussion in 'Plesk Automation Suggestions and Feedback' started by pablofm, Feb 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pablofm

pablofm Bit Poster

Hsphere includes NAT support and many hosts are actively using it in their environments. Are there plans to include NAT support in this product?

Thank you.

2. dynamicnet

dynamicnet Kilo Poster

Good day:

While I do believe NAT should be supported, of all of the clients we manage, less than 2% use NAT.

So I would not use the word, "many" when it comes to hosting providers that use NAT.

Only those providers choosing to use LAN-based devices vs. Internet-based devices are typically forced into NAT via their router / switch / firewall (typically a CISO brand, LAN device).

Thank you.

3. pablofm

pablofm Bit Poster

Wow, you must be managing hundreds of clients! 2% ?!?! Wow... great census.

I am not sure how your post helps to answer my question other than to encourage parallels to not implement NAT support. Very cool, thanks for your 2%...

4. dynamicnet

dynamicnet Kilo Poster

Greetings:

Yes, we do manage a large number of H-Sphere provider servers for other hosting providers using H-Sphere.

My comment was about your using the word, "many."

I do agree with you NAT support is needed because whether there is a few that use NAT or more than a few, it is something that is needed.

Thank you.

5. pablofm

pablofm Bit Poster

I personally like the word "many". It has four letters and conveys a sense of quantity. In any case, I do not see how your client base is somehow representative of the overall hsphere user base.

I completely disagree with your statement that providers are "typically forced into NAT via their router / switch / firewall (typically a CISO brand, LAN device)". That is not true. It has nothing to do with being forced into anything. It is simply a configuration choice and can be based on several criteria.

And as it turns out, the only control panel out there right now supporting NAT is Hsphere. So, please Parallels, bake this support into the new product. MANY of us will be happy you did.

Thanks.

6. Amin Taheri

Amin Taheri Product Expert

We have quite a lot of servers and all of them use a form of NAT behind a few pairs of BigIPs. Its not really that Plesk needs to support Nat because the upstream appliance will do it all.

7. SteveITS

SteveITS Tera Poster

I believe Plesk supports NAT also.

I personally find NAT appealing because it allows services on one IP to be split among several servers. With the IP shortage I suspect many "cloud" providers will use it, and even if you want a 1:1 relationship for public:private IPs, the control panel has to know a server's real/public IP.

8. Amin Taheri

Amin Taheri Product Expert

None of my servers have any awareness of the public IP, they only have the private IP for all interfaces. The public IP is only needed for dns, and since in my case dns is external to all web servers, none of the web servers need to know about the public.

9. Andrew Andriatis

Andrew Andriatis Odin Team

Hi,
    We have not implemented it yet, but the answer is YES. We have NAT support on the schedule for the first release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.