Major Upgrade Question?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JnascECSI, Dec 1, 2007.

1. JnascECSI

JnascECSI Kilo Poster

Well i figured it's time to Upgrade our Hosting Platform. But i'm not sure what route i should take. I figured it will turn into a nightmare if i don't cover all my bases, so it's probably best to ask what others think would be the best way to move forward. Below is the Break down of what i have. I need to get this thing updated to the latest accross the board. Below is my system breakdown

Running HSPC/VZ Manager/Plesk Manager
    Servers Total- 3

Server #1
    HSPC Management HW Node with 3 VPS's BaseOS - FC2 Kernel 2.4.20-021stab028.19.777-enterprise i686
    2-VPS Name Server's
    1-VPS HSPC 3.2.2-56.09

Server #2
    Virtuozzo HW Node-FC2 (kernel 2.4.20-021stab028.19.777-enter
    4- VPS's running FC2.p1

Server #3
    Plesk Node- CentOS 4.2(kernel 2.6.8-022stab070.1-smp)
    3- Plesk VPS's running Plesk 7 Unix FC2 7.5.4

On the Plesk VPS's i have about 20 clients between the three of them and on the VZ i have 4 hosted VPS's .I want to keep the downtime to a minimum and i want to update all 3 servers to CentOS 4.5 " Since CentOS 5 is way to buggy from what i've been told" and the Latest VZ templates and Plesk 8.2.1 .

If anyone could help me out and give me some ideas on how i should get this done or issues i could run into that would be great. I'm not a pro at linux and don't want to hose the system without covering my *** to do this. So again any tips or recommendations would be great and appreiciated.
  2. JnascECSI

JnascECSI Kilo Poster

86 Views and No one has had to go this route or have any tips? WOW
  3. JnascECSI

JnascECSI Kilo Poster

Wow, No one has a comment or tips on this one.
  4. vbatraev

vbatraev Odin Team

Road map:

1. upgrade OS and Virtuozzo on hardware nodes.

1.1 Install desired OS on new hardware node;
    1.2 Install the latest version of Virtuozzo on new node;
    1.3 upgrade Virtuozzo on old node;
    1.4 migrate VE from old node to the new one.

2. upgrade Plesk to 8.x.x version.

Seems you should use the similar way to upgrade OS on Plesk nodes: create new VE with CentOS 4.5 OS template, install plesk on it, upgrade old plesk node and then use backup/restore utility. But I'm 100% sure about this way.

Note that HSPcomplete 3.3 doesn't support Plesk 7.5.4 so Plesk nodes should be upgraded prior to HSPcomplete upgrade.

3. upgrade HSPcomplete to 3.3.x version.

Upgrade notes can be found here.

4. upgrade OS of HSPcomplete server (VE).

Information how to upgrade OS of HSPcomplete server can be found here.
  5. JnascECSI

JnascECSI Kilo Poster

TYVM thats what i was looking for but did'nt know what sequence to follow That helped out alot.
  6. Tera Poster

Do it slowly and one server at a time. Since you are in a production environment you want to minimize down time (less than 5 min) do it on a sunday at 2 a.m. You should be able to get all of your updates at one time. Just a side note stop using FC2 it is outdated. Keep your OS uptodate as possible
  7. JnascECSI

JnascECSI Kilo Poster

Yea thats my whole plan is to get rid of FC2. going to use CentoOS 4.6 "cause from what i here Cent5 is way to messy" .