Known Issues upgrading PSA 5 Standard Installation to Plesk 6

Discussion in 'Plesk 6.0 Installation and 'How Do I' Questions' started by Todd L. Crumpler, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Todd L. Crumpler

Todd L. Crumpler Odin Team

Attention PSA 5.x Red Hat Standard Installation Users.

There are known issues in updating systems running the standard installation of PSA 5.x to Plesk 6. The SWsoft and Plesk teams are working on a resolution. In the meantime, we Do Not recommend that PSA 5.x standard installations use the Auto-Installer or Plesk 6 RPMs to upgrade their system to Plesk 6.

Note: If you have PSA 5.x RPM on your system the Auto-Installer works well and should be used to upgrade to Plesk 6.

Question: How can you tell if your system is a Standard Installation or an RPM installation?
    Answer: Login as root and view your /usr/local/psa/ directory If you have less than 5 directories you are most likely using the RPM version. If you have 10 to 15 directories in /usr/local/psa then you are most likely using the standard installation and should not use the Auto-Installer to update your system.

Question: How do I upgrade my PSA 5.x Standard Installation to Plesk 6 without the auto-installer?
    Answer: Make sure your system is Running PSA 5.0.5. A patch is available for all builds to bring your 5.0.x system to PSA 5.0.5. Backup your PSA 5.x system completely using the PSA 5 Backup Utilities.
    (Option 1) Restore the data on a 2nd server running PSA 5.0.5 RPM and then update the server using the Auto-installer to Plesk 6.
    (Option 2) After the backup is stored delete all domains running on your server. De-install PSA 5.x Standard from the server and re-install PSA 5.0.5 RPM version. Restore the backup to your new PSA 5.0.5 RPM installation. Make sure all is working well. Upgrade to Plesk 6 using the Auto-Installer.

2. media@

media@ Kilo Poster

What happens to the people already upgraded their system???

Thanks,
    Media

3. Todd L. Crumpler

Already upgraded

Are your expriencing any issues with the system?

4. media@

media@ Kilo Poster

I have couple problems:
    The biggest one: I am not getting mails on time. Looks like mail server is working very slow. I think this effect everything in the system..

I cannot really describe this one: But something wrong with PHP configuration: Some scripts are acting just not right and I do not know why? Like phpMyAdmen dump function does not work for large database if you use zip option...

That's all I want to tell right now..
    Thanks
    Media

5. gtoger

gtoger Kilo Poster

Still an issue?

I'm looking to upgrade 2 servers from PSA 5.x to PSA 6. They are standard installations - not RPM. Is there still an issue with the upgrade process?

The 2.5 - 5.x upgrade was flawless. Can I expect the same here? With 330 domains, I'm reluctant to run the upgrade if there are going to be problems.

However, the answers in the FAQ's and forum seem to contridict themselves.

It would be most helpful if SWsoft could post a conclusive 5.5 to 6 upgrade procedure.

6. Todd L. Crumpler

Upgrading PSA 5 to Plesk 6

The current best way to update from PSA 5 Standard Red Hat version to Plesk 6 is as follows.

Make sure your system is Running PSA 5.0.5. A patch is available for all builds to bring your 5.0.x system to PSA 5.0.5. Backup your PSA 5.x system completely using the PSA 5 Backup Utilities. Use one of the following options...

(Option 1) Restore the data on a 2nd server running PSA 5.0.5 RPM and then update the server using the Auto-installer to Plesk 6.
    (Option 2) After the backup is stored delete all domains running on your server. De-install PSA 5.x Standard from the server and re-install PSA 5.0.5 RPM version. Restore the backup to your new PSA 5.0.5 RPM installation. Make sure all is working well. Upgrade to Plesk 6 using the Auto-Installer.

7. Cranky

Cranky Guru

Will the Plesk 6 backup utilities (if they every surface) allow restoration of a Plesk 5 RPM server on a Plesk 6 box or will the first server have to be upgraded to 6 prior to the backup?

8. Todd L. Crumpler

Plesk 6 Backup and Restore Utilities

Will the Plesk 6 backup utilities (if they every surface) allow restoration of a Plesk 5 RPM server on a Plesk 6 box or will the first server have to be upgraded to 6 prior to the backup?

Cranky,

You will have to upgrade to Plesk 6 before you can restore to Plesk 6 as far as I know. The Plesk 6 backup utilities will be released this week. It could be as early as tomorrow. :)

9. Cranky

Cranky Guru

I was told that today was a "firm" release date. :-/

Thanks anyway.

10. gtoger

gtoger Kilo Poster

Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly - the bottom line is that it is not possible to upgrade PSA 5.5 STANDARD to PSA 6?

Only a RPM version of the PSA 5.5 may be upgraded?

11. Todd L. Crumpler

Upgrading a 5.0.5 Standard Red Hat Installation to Plesk 6.

There isn't a Plesk 6 Standard installation for Red Hat. The transition to RPM has been in the works for 3 releases. One way or the other all installations of Plesk 6 will be RPM installations except for the FreeBSD installations.

Currently there are known issues with the direct conversion of a PSA 5.x Red Hat Standard Installation to Plesk 6. Indirectly the software can be converted to RPM on PSA 5 and then updated to Plesk 6.

So yes we can update your airplane but we just can't do it in mid-air.

12. media@

media@ Kilo Poster

It has been a weird thing going on my server and I do not know if I can do anything or it might be this problem is in the known issues list?

If i get emails from outside source, I am getting mails right away, but if email coming from internal source like sendmail, or other forms, the mails are showing up in the system between 6-12 hours later...

Please help,
    Thanks,
    Media

Here is the server information:
    CPU: Intel Pentium III
    Version: psa v6.0.1_build030723.13 os_RedHat 7.2

13. gtoger

gtoger Kilo Poster

The airplane analogy certainly makes sense.

I was not aware there was a transition in the works from Standard to RPM. Perhaps this is my bad for assuming "Standard" stood for "this is the standard installation for Plesk."

For future reference, the official documentation could be a little more clear. Now I will endeavor to determine the best course of action - I have my licenses, and customers want the new features, but I can't afford to saddle them with downtime.

Ideally, there would be some documented method to take care of this.

14. Todd L. Crumpler

gtoger

Yes I agree and we are working on documenting the method. Send me your email address and I will update you as soon as we have it.

Regards,

Todd L. Crumpler
    SWsoft, Inc.
    tcrumpler@sw-soft.com

15. hardweb

hardweb Guru

Also the standard to RPM upgrade can be done with the Plesk installer, indeed there are some risks involved. If you are experienced enough there should be no problem.
    As Todd suggested, I also recommend to:
    1. Backup 5.0x installation
    2. Remove standard Plesk install
    3. Install Plesk from RPM
    4. Restore backup to the RPM install
    5. Upgrade to Plesk 6

16. dennism220

dennism220 Kilo Poster

How about the standard to RPM upgrade that works, is there a target date for that?

Down time is death to web hosting.

Den

17. murshed

murshed Guest

any updates??

i've seen that plesk 6.0.1 is available .. could plesk 5.0.5 standards users upgrade to 6.0.1 rpm directly without any problem??

thanks

18. Cranky

Cranky Guru

No - that's what this thread is about.

19. hprod

hprod Guest

How can I know if my Plesk version is 5.0.5?

How can I know if my Plesk version is 5.0.5?
    thanks

20. Cranky

Cranky Guru

Goto: Server > Statistics

It should say something like:

> Version: psa v5.0.5_build030207.16 os_RedHat 7.3