Installing updates in Virtuozzo 7 - reboot?

Discussion in 'Installation, Update and Configuration' started by SteveITS, Apr 28, 2017.

1. SteveITS

SteveITS Tera Poster

In Virtuozzo 6 we had always run vzreboot after installing updates. Since that feature isn't in Virtuozzo 7 (in favor of the readykernel updates) does that mean restarting isn't necessary for regular old "yum" updates?

While I'm posting, it may be because it's new or something but https://help.virtuozzo.com/customer/portal/articles/2796982 ("Product security update: Virtuozzo 7.0 Update 4 (7.0.4-)") shows only "This article doesn't have a translation for English" for me...

Thanks,

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  2. Pavel

Pavel A.I. Auto-Responder Staff Member

Hello Steve,

Apparently article was published ahead of the schedule and hidden as a result.
    Update 4 was released just yesterday, and it was not available on Saturday. Please check article again, works fine now.

As for the reboots - they are still necessary from time to time, but thanks to readykernel they can be performed less often.

Some things cannot be updated without a reboot:
    1) vstorage mount still requires a remount (or a reboot) to make the update effective
    2) some things cannot be patched through readykernel. In case some CVE is released that cannot be covered with ReadyKernel - it will be advised to install&reboot asap
    3) as of now, qemu engine, "vm monitor" requires VM restart/or suspend&resume to apply the update. Starting from update 4 it will become possble to update it without downtime for VMs, thanks to "live qemu updates".

Whether to perform reboot or not is up to you to decide - if there's some fix you need, you might want to reboot sooner. If there is no necessity to apply new fixes you might want to keep growing your uptime :)

3. SteveITS

SteveITS Tera Poster

Hi Pavel, the KB did start to show, thanks.

Will future update Product Update articles say whether a restart is necessary? Looking at the list of packages from yum check-update for going from 7.0.3 to 7.0.4 I don't see any vstorage updates listed. There are some qemu updates listed...so just restart the VMs afterwards?

4. Pavel

Pavel A.I. Auto-Responder Staff Member

Hello Steve,

I will share feedback with our release team regarding the reboot necessity notice in KB.

As for Update 4 - it supplies new kernel as well, it would require a reboot. But if you're happy with the current one, you can keep it for a while and just suspend&resume VMs one by one, it will be enough to update qemu for it

5. SteveITS

SteveITS Tera Poster

Technically I have to reboot most of our servers anyway because of the SSD read cache file (during installation) bug from my other thread. But if we install the kernel update via readykernel (which has automatic readykernel updates enabled by default in Virtuozzo 7) then we would normally not have to reboot?

Sorry if I'm trying to be exact, but our server restarts take a few minutes to get through all the BIOS and RAID controller initialization, and since we can't suspend most of our containers (due to the issue suspending/resuming 32 bit processes) a restart may mean 10 minutes of downtime for containers on that server.

6. SteveITS

SteveITS Tera Poster

Just to follow up for everyone lurking, earlier this week our sales engineer returned from vacation and had a slightly different viewpoint and a way to check:

"As for reboot. In VZ7 you need to reboot vz node only if you have updated kernel. To check this you can use:

#rpm -qa | grep vzkernel
    #uname -a

If uname shows older kernel version you need to reboot the node."

7. SteveITS

SteveITS Tera Poster