Installing PSfM BM on Xserve!

Discussion in 'Installation, Update and Configuration' started by Robert Ojok, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Robert Ojok

Robert Ojok Bit Poster

I have attempted to install PSfM BM on an Xserve and all goes well until the part to install the PVA which then fails because there is no internet connectivity. I have a valid IP address with internet connectivity already tested in OSX which worked fine BUT when I install parallels I cannot get internet access even though I have a FQDN with a valid IP. The Xserve model is 2.26_8CX.
    My suspicion is that drivers are missing for the network card in the parallels software. Is this the case and if so how do I go about installing the drivers for the network card?

2. JamesRidsdale

JamesRidsdale Bit Poster

I too am having the same issues, I'm about to see if I can obtain updated drives for the Xserve from vzup2date.

Will let you know how I get on.

James.

3. JamesRidsdale

JamesRidsdale Bit Poster

4. MacTasia

MacTasia Bit Poster

Ethernet Driver missing ?

Hi,

Of course – since we CANNOT get ANY ethernet connections… it's NOT possible to get a connection with "vzup2date"
    – or any other tools…

All we can do at the present is type commands at the server console…

At present it LOOKS like maybe a missing driver…
    At the console if I type: "ifconfig" – it reports connections 'correctly setup'
    But if I try to 'ping' – from the consol – it just reports 100% packet loss – no connection.
    Where as booting from an OSX Hard Drive, with the same IP settings, then all connections are operational
    – proving the physical network & firewall OK.

Still looking for a Parallels recommended solution…
    I should not really have to look top 3rd party sites to solve this "fundamental" problem.
    – If the product is called: "Parallels server bare metal 4.0 for mac" with "xserver" support, then I expect it to actually work with the Xserver. Getting networking operational is pretty fundamental to server operations…

I can't find out the 'Build Number' of this install – the recommended procedure for that says use the Management Tools
    – But since these cant be downloaded to the server, nor the server contacted by client management tools
    that option is a non-starter…

5. JamesRidsdale

JamesRidsdale Bit Poster

Support Call.

I have exactly the same issue I have a support call with Parallels open on this. I have chased them again today for an answer.

6. JamesRidsdale

JamesRidsdale Bit Poster

Check the interfaces!!

I have sorted my issue, I have 6 x ethernet interfaces on the server, however eth0 is not the builtin port on the Xserve but actually the ethernet adapter in PCI slot 2 port 1.

Not quite sure why the installer has listed that adapter as the primary?

Hope this helps!

James.

7. Robert Ojok

Robert Ojok Bit Poster

To James

Hi james how do you go about configuring port 1 of card 2? Do you provide it with the network details that can access the Internet or do you merely ensure it's the only one with an Ethernet cable or is this config dove in parallels?

8. JamesRidsdale

JamesRidsdale Bit Poster

Check your MAC addresses by completing the following:

# ifconfig -a | egrep 'Link|MTU'

Check the MAC address on the back of the Xserve. You should then find out which interface is the primary.

James.

9. MacTasia

MacTasia Bit Poster

Thanks, tried this got:

Hi Thanks, Tried this got:

Parallels Port = Mac Port

PAR - 0 = Apple 2
    PAR - 1 = Apple 3
    PAR - 2 = Apple 0
    PAR - 3 = Apple 1

Which rather explains why it was so confusing…

I THINK Parallels need to ADD something to the INSTALL GUIDE about this…

10. Robert Ojok

Robert Ojok Bit Poster

That works a treat

Yes funny that the NICS are ordered differently.
    After advice from James to use
    # ifconfig -a | egrep 'Link|MTU'
    I discovered the arrangements were different and it is now working.
    So I am now progressing to the next step.
    I am using Parallels NIC 0 for my installation and PVA management connection.
    I will then use the second NIC for VLAN's for the virtual Mac Servers.
    I am setting both NIC 1 and 2 of parallels on the same subnet and since the virtual Mac servers will also reside on the same subnet (for now at least) I will not have the NIC tagged since they will all use the same tag for now.
    Well I hope all goes to plan

11. JoanH

JoanH Bit Poster

Add in /etc/sysconfig/network:

GATEWAY=192.168.X.X

where X.X is your <subnet.gateway_lan_ip>

Hope helps you,
    joe