Installation in Parallels Cloud Server VM

Discussion in 'Installation, Configuration and Upgrade' started by GiorgosI, Oct 31, 2013.

1. GiorgosI

GiorgosI Kilo Poster

Hello,

In the Installation Requirements of Parallels Virtuozzo Containers 4.6 for Windows says:
    Is it possible to install Virtuozzo Containers 4.6 for Windows in a Windows 2008 R2 Virtual Machine?
    The VM is created in Parallels Cloud Server.

2. Partizan

Partizan Plesk Developers

It's possible to use Containers inside VMs, but for the version 4.6 we are sure only in PCS and ESX. And install all the updates before constainers creation.
    Starting from version 6.0 Containers for Windows are being tested on PCS, ESX and HyperV.

3. GiorgosI

GiorgosI Kilo Poster

I installed Virtuozzo Containers for Windows 4.6 in a VM with Windows 2008 R2 SP1 (the VM is created with Parallels Cloud Server technology).
    The only problem I see is that I can ping the IPs assigned to containers only from inside the Virtuozzo Containers Hardware Node (the VM). They don't respond to ping from outside, not even from the Parallels Cloud Server Hardware Node (which hosts the VM).
    I created containers using routed and bridged mode network, without any difference.

4. Partizan

I'm pretty sure it's beacuse of promiscous mode enabled in VM config, you should allow promiscous mode for MAC and IP.

5. GiorgosI

GiorgosI Kilo Poster

Thank you Partizan,
    Your solution solved the problem.
    I unchecked 'promiscous mode', 'Filter by MAC Address' and 'Filter by IP Address' (at 'Network Adapter' settings) and now IPs respond from outside too.

6. GiorgosI

GiorgosI Kilo Poster

Everything seems to function properly except one thing.
    When I restart the Virtuozzo Node (which is a VM) and it starts again (it answers to ping requests), it takes about 10 minutes to start the services.
    During this time all containers are down and I cannot connect even through RDP.
    If I connect through console, the desktop is blue without any shortcuts or any bar, so I cannot do anything, not even open task manager using Cntrl+Alt+Del.
    It started since I installed Virtuozzo on it.
    The VM has 6 CPUs and 16GB of RAM.

I deleted the Virtuozzo VM and did a fresh, clean installation, but I have the same problem again.
    As soon as I install Virtuozzo it takes 10 minutes to start the services after reboot.

7. Partizan

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  8. warinwarin

warinwarin Bit Poster

well done....nice job

9. NDH_International

NDH_International Bit Poster

Thank you, I needed this.