Install vBulletin on Plesk Box

Discussion in 'PSA 5.0 'How Do I' Questions' started by levrah, May 24, 2003.

1. levrah

levrah Mega Poster

We're thinking of installing vBulletin as a support mechanism (for FAQs and even a psuedo ticket system w/the private forums feature).

I'm wondering if I need to create a MySQL database in Plesk before submitting the install for vBulletin or does it really matter whether I've "pre-created" that database or not?

If anyone has experience installing vBulletin on a Plesk box, I'm looking for advice, gotcha's, etc.

-mike

2. phoenixisp

phoenixisp Guru

3. levrah

levrah Mega Poster

Yep. I had already read that, and most of the rest of their site, including their own forums and the hack (.org) site as well.

I just wanted to be certain there aren't any (known) special cases, situations or settings to consider when installing vB on a Plesk box. That's what lead to my posted question here. :)

4. phoenixisp

phoenixisp Guru

As long as you follow the instructions there should be no problems.

5. levrah

levrah Mega Poster

k, thanks :)

The reason for the question about "pre-creating" the MySQL DB in Plesk first was because I was thinking if I let the vB install do it "manually" (w/out Plesk knowing about it in other words), then Plesk may not calculate space usage for the database vB is using.

I've installed a PHP-based photo album on a vhost, which created its own MySQL DB and, honestly, I don't know if Plesk is calculating the space used by that database or not. I do know one thing. It's certainly using a MySQL DB, but Plesk shows no known databases in-use (because it didn't get told of the database when I installed the album).

That's what leads me to think/wonder if I shouldn't "pre-create" the DB in Plesk before running the vB install script.

After reading the vB site and forums, and checking their hack site (the .org site), this question about the database was all I came away with as being a potential concern.

Thoughts?