Install new PHP 5.4 on Web node

Discussion in 'Plesk Automation Suggestions and Feedback' started by craigueH, Jun 5, 2014.

1. craigueH

craigueH Kilo Poster

We are trying to add PHP 5.4 to our Linux Web node and keep getting the following error when running ./configure --prefix /usr/local/php-5.4.29

checking whether to enable LIBXML support... yes
    checking libxml2 install dir... no
    checking for xml2-config path...
    configure: error: xml2-config not found. Please check your libxml2 installation.

Running yum install libxml2 reports that another version is already installed but may be unusable.

Any ideas how to proceed?

2. craigueH

craigueH Kilo Poster

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  3. GregorL

GregorL Kilo Poster

Plus remember you have to constantly re-compile for new versions.

I ended up converting the web box to cloudlinux.
    This in turn comes with so called alt-php packages.
    You install the package you like (or multiple) and then register the PHP version from the ppa CP like this for example:
    /usr/local/psa/bin/php_handler --add -id 54-cl -displayname 5.4-cl -path /opt/alt/php54/usr/bin/php-cgi -phpini /opt/alt/php54/etc/php.ini -type fastcgi -service-node x.x.x.x

Seems to work great, and Cloudlinux is giving me all the updates when they come out :)

4. craigueH

craigueH Kilo Poster

Sounds great.

I've since switched the web nodes to cloudlinux.

What's the command to install the php-alt pachages?
    Or do you have a link to any docs that will help?

Cheers :)

5. GregorL

GregorL Kilo Poster

on the web node, do a
    yum search alt-php
    Then to install PHP 5.4 for example, just do a
    yum install alt-php54 -y

Now you will want to add the php extensions you think most people want/need for example:
    yum install alt-php54-bcmath alt-php54-gd alt-php54-mcrypt alt-php54-mbstring -y

and so on...

6. GrantN

GrantN Kilo Poster

Hi Guys, just wondering how you did the switch to cloudlinux? Did you just install cloudlinux on an existing centos system with live clients on there?
    How is that working out with PPA?
    I was advised by support not to do it that way and to install a fresh Cloudlinux node and then migrate sites?
    Your thoughts on this?

7. RodolfoE

RodolfoE Kilo Poster

Similar to what GrantN asked, what is your experience with CloudLinux and installing it on a nodes with users on it?

I ran a small test on an Apache node and CloudLinux didn't seem to restrict resource usages for users which were on the node prior to installing.

Is there a way to add current users/subscriptions? Is there something I may be missing?

8. GregHL

GregHL Mega Poster

ask the support fellows at cloudlinux - I used to get replies from Igor himself sometimes - the support there was excellent.