IIS mistakenly not installed on service node

Discussion in 'Plesk Automation Suggestions and Feedback' started by SteveITS, Aug 30, 2015.

1. SteveITS

SteveITS Tera Poster

After struggling to get our new Windows service node working, it seems that support installed it as "MS SQL Server 2012 database server" not "IIS web server / MS SQL Server 2012 database server" so our first web site is failing. If I try to install the IIS package (ppa_iis) it says it started a background task, but nothing is listed for it under Tasks. So the web site creation tasks I am trying to run are stalled and the webspace isn't created.

Topping that, the second three-month-trial key I received Friday (for our 6 month migration) is not allowing access to create a ticket with support. While I wait for an answer from our sales rep, any suggestions on proceeding? I seem to recall reading that there was an important difference in how the Linux service nodes were set up...something along the lines of always installing MySQL and Apache together instead of trying to install them separately.

2. Starl1ght

Starl1ght Just a cat

Re-create service node as IIS+MSSQL?

3. SteveITS

SteveITS Tera Poster

That was my next step. I was hoping to avoid removing the node since it took several tech support sessions and ultimately giving them access to the node for a few days to fix the problem adding the node in the first place (certificate problem on the PPA management node apparently).

4. Starl1ght

Starl1ght Just a cat

Steve, there is nothing wrong to give access to servers, since it's the only way how support is able to work at all.
    If you feel, that this is not good to you - there is always an option for sessions like Webex, where you can observe what's going on.

5. SteveITS

SteveITS Tera Poster

My point was more that after a couple sessions with me including a long Saturday, they had to work on it for several days to figure out why it would add the node but refuse to install the additional (SQL) software due to a certificate error. So I was resisting removing the node. Sales can't seem to generate a key and/or figure out why the one they just gave me won't allow access to tech support. I guess removing the node is my next step.

6. SteveITS

SteveITS Tera Poster

Well, it seems to have fixed itself on its own. The only thing I see are four Deleted tasks time stamped today at 12:00 am, two each of:

Install additional packages on node 'windows01' according role PPA_MSSQL2012
    Install additional packages on node 'windows01' according role PPA_IIS_MSSQL2012

It seems unlikely that deleting tasks would let this work so maybe there was an invisible task run on Sunday after all, and it just took a long time to run. (shrug)

7. SteveITS

SteveITS Tera Poster

I have lots to do so kept bugging sales for a PPA license that includes tech support so I could ask them. Good thing. After three more weeks Sales finally got me one...they figured out a week or so ago that trial keys don't include support, but the 3-month trial keys for the 6-month migration promo do include support. Then it took another week of emailing them.

At any rate support said I should remove the service node and install using PPA_IIS_MSSQL2012. Turns out when you remove a Windows service node it does not remove cleanly. For instance when you add it again, the task errors out that things already exist such as the SQL "root" username. So three months in to my project of adding a Windows service node I'm reinstalling or restoring from backup for I think the fifth time...