How to shutdown storage cluster properly and boot up on another location

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by pohyonghwang, Oct 24, 2016.

1. pohyonghwang

pohyonghwang Bit Poster

Hi,

I have a question pertaining to re-locating virtuozzo storage with MDS,CS and clients all installed onto 5 servers.

I need to re-locate it to another rack which requires us to shutdown all nodes properly and start all nodes in a new rack.

What should be the way to start all the servers safely?

thanks

yonsan

2. Pavel

Pavel A.I. Auto-Responder Odin Team

Hello,

It depends on whether IP will change after migrating them to another rack or not and on amount of a free space in cluster.
    First - make sure that if node is shut down, and replication copies the offline chunks to another servers you don't run out of a free space.
    Second - if IP doesn't change and there is a network connectivity between old and new rack - you simply offload the node (migrate CTs\VMs to another server), shut it down, move to another rack, start it up. Doing so one by one and waiting until chunks get healthy (all healthy and overcommited) between migrating servers will ensure data will not get blocked, and running VEs will be kept alive and running.

If you need to shut them down and bring up in another rack simultaneously, just stop all VMs, containers, shut down servers, migrate them, and start up. There's no need for any special procedure, evereything should be fine just like that. If you want to be a on a safe side - you might want to disable shaman startup on all servers during migration (chkconfig shamand off) - just don't forget to turn it on and start manually when migration is over.

3. pohyonghwang

pohyonghwang Bit Poster

Hi Pavel,

IP still remains the same. We have to shut them all down and move the existing nodes in another rack simultaneously.

So let say we have move to the new rack, do i start the servers one by one or I can start the servers all at the same time?

4. Pavel

Pavel A.I. Auto-Responder Odin Team

Hi,

It doesn't really matter, but if it would be me, I'd start them at the same time so it gets quorum right away, and doesn't get any alert like "3\4 nodes offline, alarm alarm!".