Features?

Discussion in 'Plesk for Windows beta testing forum' started by midibach, Oct 22, 2003.

1. midibach

midibach Guest

Any rough estimates on what kind of features the Windows version will have?

2. hardweb

hardweb Guru

It has quite the same features as the Linux version. It can also control MSSQL databases and of course you can manage the windows ASP, ASP.NET. ODBC, etc.

3. Cranky

Cranky Guru

Know which DNS & FTP server & MTA are used?

4. justyxxxx

justyxxxx Mega Poster

There are a couple of things I'm interested in knowing:

1. Does this Windows version of Plesk handle DNS? I'd think it would, but want to make sure . . . .

2. Does Microsoft require any kind of Internet Connector or other bullcrap license in order to use this software with however many domains?

5. sieb@

sieb@ Guru

DNS is handled by Bind9 service.
    FTP runs off IIS's FTP service (an ftp site is added at install along with the default site for PSA).
    It also uses OpenSSL for ssl connections.

Overall, everything else is just like the linux version.

Internet Connector? You mean Client License CALs? Web services are independent of windows licensing, only direct connections to services like file serving or terminal service require CALs. Domain licensing/limiting is regulated by the PSA license you buy.

6. justyxxxx

justyxxxx Mega Poster

After reading your post and researching it a bit, here's what I found:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/howtobuy/pricing/icfaq.asp

After reading the information, is Plesk creating user access accounts using the Windows File Access structure? If it is, then it seems that you would need an Internet Connector License . . .

What are your opinions??

Specifically:

Q. When do I acquire Internet Connector licenses instead of Client Access Licenses (CALs)?

A. Internet Connector licenses are optional licenses that you can acquire to allow only your Internet users access to your corporate network and to use Windows server services without having to acquire a CAL for each of them. CALs must be acquired for non-Internet users when those users' devices are using Windows server services (defined below).

Q. Who is a valid "Internet user"?

A. An Internet user is any person, connected to the Internet, other than an employee, independent contractor, agent, or similar personnel or anyone who otherwise provides goods or services to you or on your behalf.

Q. Which "Windows server services" require me to obtain a CAL or an Internet Connector license?

A. The Windows 2000 server services include: file, print, remote access, and authenticated access. For the purposes of Internet Connector licensing requirements, Terminal Services is not included as a Windows server service.

Q. For which servers do I acquire Internet Connector licenses?

A. An Internet Connector license is required for every server that is:

Using Windows server services (defined above) by your Internet users.
    Requesting authentication validation on behalf of your Internet users (i.e. user credentials sent to domain controller).
    Validating the authentication request on behalf of your Internet users (i.e. domain controller receives request and passes authentication/authorization information back to user).

Q. Do I need an Internet Connector license for anonymous Internet Access?

A. No, as long your Internet users are not using any of the Windows server services and are accessing a Windows 2000 Server anonymously, or using external authentication to gain authenticated access, there is no need to purchase an Internet Connector license for those servers.

Q. What do you mean by external authentication?

A. External authentication does not rely on Windows authentication APIs, such as LogonUser and LDAP or ADSI connections to an Active Directory® server, or infrastructure, such as Active Directory users, groups, computers, or other objects or local machine accounts. External authentication mechanisms maintain a separate database of authorized accounts or identities and implement their own proof of identity verification, such as challenge/response, key exchange, and certificates. Note that if the database of identities used by external authentication is stored on a Windows server, CALs or Internet Connector licenses may be required due to the use of Windows file services.

Q. If IIS is calling a database, such as SQL, for authentication, do both the IIS server and the database server require Internet Connector licenses?

A. This depends on the meaning of "calling a database for authentication". If the database holds the authorized user list and the associated credentials, then this falls into the external authentication category and does not require a license. If the database is on a Windows server, then the database is using Windows file services to store the authentication database, so CALs or Internet Connector licenses would be required on the database server.

However, if data is being requested from the database and the database server takes Windows credentials to determine whether the specific user is authorized to read that data, then both the database server and the Active Directory server it is using to verify user credentials would require Internet Connector licenses.

7. sieb@

sieb@ Guru

Interesting...

So are you thinking you have to buy a license for every single user using your server? MS licensing is broken, but not that broken otherwise CPs like Ensim and PSA would cost millions due to licensing costs with MS (granted the cost of the CP is seperate of the server costs).

I like MSs technical legal talk...

"This depends on the meaning of "calling a database for authentication". If the database holds the authorized user list and the associated credentials, then this falls into the external authentication category and does not require a license. If the database is on a Windows server, then the database is using Windows file services to store the authentication database, so CALs or Internet Connector licenses would be required on the database server. "

Meaning, if you use an external db for authorization, fine, no license.. But if that db is on the server, then it needs a license because it uses the built in fileservice that runs windows..

I guess its time I got out of the hosting business before MS sues me for running windows hosting servers.... Or I keep everything on unix.

In the end, its not PSAs responability, but good food for thought.. hmm

Actually, I just tested it. There is a user account created in windows along with the PSA admin accounts, but authentication is handled by the mySQL db in PSA. (i.e. changing pw does not affect CP login) Then again, that user is created for file security association in the filesystem which, along with the db being on the server itself, from MSs jargon, falls under the licensing scheme..

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/howtobuy/pricing/pricingwindows.asp

Only $1,999 for unlimited connector license

8. sieb@

sieb@ Guru

As an added note, Windows 2k3 licensing has just CALs and External Connector inplace of the W2k Internet Connector. Costs just as much.. Unfortunetly, its only avaliable via Volume Licenses..

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/default.mspx

The Web Appliance version of 2k3 is immune to all these licensing issues so I think those would be well suited for PSA 6.5. But its only avaliable from OEMs...

9. Protean

Protean Tera Poster

10. sieb@

sieb@ Guru

Hmm.. 25 concurrent users.. Wonder if that applies to mySQL (mySQL isn't licensed...)? PSA is web server software.

I will have to do some checking into that and get back on whether it will work or not. I am pretty sure I have a copy around here somewhere.. I dont see why it wouldn't, PSA doesn't care about any of the other services windows loads.

**Update**
    Threw Web Ed. on a server real quick, and PSA does indeed work just fine!

Although, in the PSA Beta, I found that the frontpage admin stuff in does not work, the _vti_bin folders aren't being created.

SSI doesn't seem to work, it says "component not installed"

Subdomains don't look to be implimented yet, but theres a folder for them.

Also, the help file still references alot of linux stuff.

11. Protean

Protean Tera Poster

its good to know that at least it installs on web ed. I really hope it IS able to function fully in the near future on web ed - and the licensing (25 concurrent cons) doesn't play some role preventing hosting use. Just think, if it does function well (in the future) on web ed, pricing is comprable (even a little better) than RH E-prise ed.

Now, if I could find an EoL on server 2003 :D to see a 5 year cost projection compared to RH E-prise.

** I just realized its 10:30 pm Saturday night - I left a big wedding reception earlier to come home and play with this ... how pathetic is that? LOL

12. sieb@

sieb@ Guru

Its 2am.. and I am still up messing with stuff.. Didn't stop messing with PSA till about 12:30.. :) I've installed it some 4 or 5 times this weekend along with that many server reloads.

13. Cranky

Cranky Guru

Do you have both FP and SSI "allowed" in the IIS settings? (Start > Admin Tools > IIS Manager > Web Service Extension)

14. hardweb

hardweb Guru

Guys, the Windows 2003 Web Edition can be used sucesfully, but:

1. There is no CAL concept in Web Edition
    2. YOU CAN NOT install Microsoft SQL on Web Edition
    3. You are limited from the point of view of the direct computer access licenses (per media, per VPN, etc)
    4. All the other limitations do not apply due to the Plesk design that works at the upper layer of the system.

15. Cranky

Cranky Guru

Could you elaborate a little on point 3 please?

16. Protean

Protean Tera Poster

Thanks for clearing that up, Bogdan.
    Its too bad for the limitations - Standard version isn't that much more expensive (+$250 USD).

So far, I like the Beta - its smooth, the interface has a better layout, and everything loads fast. I haven't put it in a live testing environment yet (NOC), but I plan to bring this box out there today or tomorrow. Will setup a few real domains on it (like proteandemo.com) with a few test pages to test everything installed.

You guys think we're looking at a first quarter 2004 release?

17. hardweb

hardweb Guru

Regarding question 3, you can check the comparision between the Windows 2003 editions on Microsoft website. I don't know the limits, but as far as I remember there were about 10 and no terminal services, sharing, ISA, etc.

18. Cranky

Cranky Guru

19. midibach

midibach Guest

For those who have been beta testing: Can you tell me if PSA supports some kind of remote control of MSSQL DBs? Economically speaking, it's good to have one server dedicated to MSSQL.

20. Cranky

Cranky Guru

Local only as far as I can see.