Experience on Upgrading to PPA 11.5

Discussion in 'Plesk Automation Suggestions and Feedback' started by DondyB, Dec 15, 2013.

1. DondyB

DondyB Kilo Poster

Hi,

Can anybody share the experience on upgrading from PPA 11.1 MU #15 to PPA 11.5 ? is it totally safe ? or should I wait for few weeks ?
    What else that's broken beside the CloudFlare APS ?

Regards,

Dondy

2. GregHL

GregHL Mega Poster

waiting for the devs to upgrade ours - previous upgrades to our cluster from 11.1 MU13 > 14 exploded things - so had them do > 15 and >16 - now waiting on them to upgrade us to 11.5... quite honestly - not super-confident and losing sleep/hair over this.... actually confidence is at an all-time low based on the email exchanges that happen every morning in response to one more question and 24 hour delay... :(

3. DondyB

DondyB Kilo Poster

Hmm Ok.. I'm on MU15.. going to skip the MU16 since it will be done automatically when we do the upgrade... but your experience make me to hold back the upgrade until new year eve ... maybe

4. GregHL

GregHL Mega Poster

last night at 10PM our time - 11AM Novosibirsk time - the support team started the upgrade - we have POP3 down - and our two most important websites down - currently checking others... again, this blew up in our faces - which is why I had the support team start this upgrade - at least it cuts down the time to open a ticket when things went "bang". :(

5. GregHL

GregHL Mega Poster

Main shared server issues:

POP3 server was down and not restarted
    IMAPD server was down and not restarted
    FTP server is down and cannot be restarted (service not found)?!?!

All sites with custom PHP settings appear down (which happens to be a ton of ecommerce sites)
    - including our own sites which earn us our money - 2 days before christmas - ecommerce sites have been disabled by this upgrade and the PHP custom settings I cannot find in the new plesk end-user cp.

Wildcard SSL on our sites not working
    PleskAutomation module for WHMCS - not working (was upgraded post PPA upgrade to the version we were sent in a link)
    PPA control panel not working on our subdomain - only on IP address

Support called me - we lost connection on phone - I got advised by email that ticket would be downgraded "as agreed on phone call" - which I never agreed to - we never discussed it. I emailed back saying NO - DO NOT DOWNGRADE TICKET - no response.

Support has not responded to the 10+ emails I have sent with information regarding updates to information on services down from the upgrade.

WE ARE VERY UPSET AT THE MOMENT.

6. GregHL

GregHL Mega Poster

it gets worse...

- PPA brand is broken
    - Logging into a local phpMyAdmin from a service node (one I installed because CP + service node are in different datacenters) - and I can see EVERY database under EVERY user... even across subscriptions. PPA 11.5 has opened permission to all users on all databases - this is an absolute security NIGHTMARE.
    - legacy 5.3.3 applications have serious session issues - osCommerce installations which were working now, do not - items cannot be added to cart - pages just don't display in the base osCommerce application

7. GregHL

GregHL Mega Poster

I have one server that is a total legacy server - for older PHP apps - someone in the support/dev team commented out our excludes in the yum.conf and ran yum... the whole server - every account - DOWN.

Do they think we put exclusions in yum.conf for fun?!!?

I am speechless.

8. GregHL

GregHL Mega Poster

and today... every single site on the legacy server is showing the alphabetically first website - ie, all domains on one server, and all subdomains for those sites, show the first site that begins with the letter 'a'.

I am deploying a new server today( should have been Monday - but it is friday and I've been fighting this screwed up "upgrade" all week) - I am NOT putting it into PPA. I can't afford to... this is destroying my business - the last thing I need is a customer with a dedicated server seeing this mess...

9. GregHL

GregHL Mega Poster

Well most downed sites were caused by plans where features like SSI was turned of during the upgrade - we can't have features like this turned off on plans where the customer legitimately turned them on. We are a small host but we will never get larger having to check every domain that we host after every update. The support overhead of this is just too much.

10. GregHL

GregHL Mega Poster

We now find a "phantom" accounts for some customers.

Example:

Customer A has 2 subscriptions

Sub 1 has 2 domains - domain1 was hosted with us, but he decided to go with web service from a company providing specialty websites to his industry - DNS for web service ONLY was pointed external - we still handle email + dns - domain 2 is an alias for domain 1

Sub 2 has 1 domain - we handle web+email+dns

after the migration to 11.5 - customer has 3 subscriptions

Sub 1 has 2 domains - domain #1 was hosted with us, but he decided to go with web service from a company providing specialty websites to his industry - DNS for web service ONLY was pointed external - we still handle email + dns - domain #2 is an alias for domain #1
    Sub 2 has #3 domain - we handle web+email+dns
    Sub 3 lists DNS only services for domain #1+#2 from Sub #1

VERY CONFUSING. We appear to have only one phantom account - and it appears customer has had their service split into 2 different subscriptions - although DNS appears for domain#1 + domain #2 in both sub #1 + Sub #3 Support ticket has been opened.

11. Andrew Andriatis

Andrew Andriatis Odin Team

Hi, Greg,
    Could you, please, email me the ticket #? I want to look at the situation.

Thanks,
    Andrey

12. ChristianCr

ChristianCr Kilo Poster

My experience of the upgrade was a total nightmare. Entirely killed the PPA node for the entire weekend while Parallels slowly put it back together.

13. JamesJames

JamesJames Kilo Poster

Oh my. What was the outcome of all the above issues - GregHL?

14. RodolfoE

RodolfoE Kilo Poster

We recently went through the upgrade roller coaster to PPA 11.5. For anyone considering the upgrade a couple of things to keep in mind:

Bookmark the ticket page and have your PPA license handy. It is likely that you will need support intervention.
    Check your service templates, a resource set to unlimited doesn't meant it will be assigned. Sometimes it has to be set to 1. DNS for example.
    Check your webmail configurations. New version of Horde sends email attachments as links and Roundcube has it's own php.ini.

15. JamesJames

JamesJames Kilo Poster

Rodolfo, thanks for sharing your experience. Were you upgrading from 11.1?

16. RodolfoE

RodolfoE Kilo Poster

Yea, we upgraded from 11.1.

I really hope this forums picks up more traction and we start seeing more information shared. I think we would benefit from others experiences since most of the issues go unadvertised as they are passed to the ticket system.

17. EXRACE

EXRACE Kilo Poster

ppa so needs to be at same level as 12.X Plesk Panel.
    I have been working through issues with 11.5 and it is a solid base but needs the 12.x polish to make it 100%. Don't get me wrong the multimode management is great but you miss the 12.x features when you jump back and forth between the two.