Domain xyz.com cannot be hosted on DNS server ns1.xyz.com

Discussion in 'Plesk Automation Suggestions and Feedback' started by TonyDas, Jun 30, 2016.

1. TonyDas

TonyDas Kilo Poster

I installed a new plesk automation, lets use example domain xyz.com
    I have two dns servers, ns1.xyz.com and ns2.xyz.com

I not want to add a DNS zone xyz.com to plesk automation so that I can create DNS records associated with domain xyz.com

I click DNS Zones -> Add new Domain
    I enter xyz.com in the domain box and press next. I then get this error:
    Domain xyz.com cannot be hosted on DNS server ns1.xyz.com, because ns1.xyz.com is a subdomain of xyz.com

Please advise how I can add xyz.com to plesk automation so that I can add all associated dns records for domain xyz.com

2. SteveITS

SteveITS Tera Poster

I couldn't find a KB article just now, but I thought this was addressed either there or maybe it was supposed to be added in a then-future PPA update? We had the same issue, and the answer at the time was basically something like: rename the DNS service nodes to something else, add the domain, and rename them back again.

Having a zone hosted on its own DNS servers works if there are glue records at the registrar level, otherwise the world doesn't know where to find ns1.xyz.com in order to look up *.xyz.com. So I think the block is just to prevent that scenario.

3. JustinSoul

JustinSoul Odin Team

Hello Steve,

Sorry, for delay. Tony's request is already completed in scope of support ticket.
    Yes, you are right. This improvement should be implemented in scope of PPA-3254 "Customer cannot create domain with name part of dns zone of nameserver": https://kb.odin.com/en/128298

4. vanyeuseo

vanyeuseo Bit Poster

Having a zone hosted on its own DNS servers works if there are glue records at the registrar level, otherwise the world doesn't know where to find ns1.xyz.com in order to look up *.xyz.com. So I think the block is just to prevent that scenario.