Debain

Discussion in 'Plesk 6.0 Suggestions and Feedback' started by tknecht, Sep 18, 2003.

1. tknecht

tknecht Guest

Hello everybody

We're a big service-provider and we would like to use the plesk 6 for ouer root-server business. The customer can choose out of RedHat, SuSe and Debian. Now the problem we have is that we would like to have not an rpm file to install Plesk on an Debian Server. Just a .tar.gz like for OpenBSD.

Does anybody know if binaries are comming soon?

Thank you for your help

Tobias Knecht

2. Cranky

Cranky Guru

Not as far as I know. Mandrake, RedHat enterprise and Windows are the only platforms I know they intend supporting any time soon... (in addition to standard RedHat and FreeBSD).

3. tknecht

tknecht Guest

That's really bad. I think it's np problem to deliver the hole stuff not as rpm. Under freeBSD they can do that too. The Problem is that normaly europeanproviders don't use redhat that much. But that's their problem if they want to loose a big deal.

Thans for the information.

Tobias

4. Ales

Ales Guru

If the deal is so big, you shouldn't be chatting in the forum but rather contacting a representative of SWsoft. ;) :)

5. Dan S.

Dan S. Guest

Maintenance s the biggest issue here. They could pound out a source install like the old standard RH PSA in no time. The problem is that everytime something needs to be updated, the whole package has to be recompiled, and everything needs to be tested again from the ground up. This is the main reason they quit doing the standard install for redhat. And also the reason that any BSD user will agree that the BSD build is always behind.

6. hardweb

hardweb Guru

Yes, many providers don't use RedHat. But in this case the decision is made based on the higher value, lower investment rule. RedHat is still free and any SuSe administrator will be able to manage a RedHat box. Maintaining a larger number of builds will increase the developers reaction time.

7. Cranky

Cranky Guru

Personally, I'm unsure why Mandrake support is being introduced. Unless it's so similar to RH that maintenance is minimal? It's hardly popular ... debian, or maybe solaris, would have been a better choice IMHO.

8. hardweb

hardweb Guru

Personally I would support SuSe. SuSe servers are very reliable and well build.

9. frozen

frozen Tera Poster

I seccond the Suse support, the military/gov even supports suse no.

10. Dan S.

Dan S. Guest

I couldn't agree more with the Mandrake remark. Maintenance must be the issue. I am a big fan of Mandrake on the desktop. I have been runnning it for over a year, but all of my servers are still RH, and will likely remain that wasy, unless RH just completely reverses directions. There is really no benefit that I can see running a MDK server.

I agree with the SuSE comments. They are working hard on their server builds, and have some nice deals with IBM and others to come preinstalled. As for solaris, the answer is been there, done that. The very first builds of PSA supported solaris, and you could count the number of licenses sold on one hand.

11. Cranky

Cranky Guru

I wasn't aware PSA ever supported Solaris, I only started with PSA 2. RedHat Enterprise 3 is due out next month ... if Plesk supports it (and not just version 2) it has the potential to be popular, and very stable.

12. Dan S.

Dan S. Guest

I would assume they will support it. RH is their bread & butter. They would be stupid not to support, considering all current versions of RH will be EOL (or close to it) by the time plesk7 arrives.

ES/AS really isn't very different then the "dot" releases. 2.x is based on 7.x, 3 is based on rh9. Most apps run seamlessly on them. My company has been offering PSA5 on ES for several months now. If we ever switch to plesk6, it will run on ES too.

Hopefully Plesk is learning from the past, and working on compatibility with the new "standard" OS releases, then working on compatibility with the older builds. Plesk6 was the first build in a long time (if not ever) that was actually compitible with the most recent RH out of box. All of the older releases were on the heals of the latest. And I wont even start with BSD.

13. frozen

frozen Tera Poster

Wht do you mean "And I wont even start with BSD."

Plesk 6 does support the latest stable release of FreeBSD

14. Dan S.

Dan S. Guest

Exactly my point. When was the last time it came even close to the latest release?

15. frozen

frozen Tera Poster

Are you suggesting Plesk use FreeBSD 5.1 though, even the FreeBSD Team still acknowledges that it may not be suitible for production yet and it is still considered a technology release?

Production Release: 4.8
    Plesk Supported Releases: 4.7 and 4.8

16. Dan S.

Dan S. Guest

I think you are misunderstanding my post. I am suggesting that releases prior to 6, were behind on the "current" OS releases. Plesk6 Being the first in some time to actually be on top of them.

17. frozen

frozen Tera Poster

Oh, I understand now, my apoligies :)

I agree it is about time. They seem to be getting it together, though I don't agree with the charging more for new features scheme.

As far as debian goes, I have no opinion on it as I have never used it. I do see that the last stable release hasn't been since Dec of 2002.

18. hardweb

hardweb Guru

Regarding FreeBSD, I am sure that when Plesk 7 will be released FreeBSD will be stable for production on the new technology releases. 5 series bring several new things and it would be very nice for Plesk 7 to support it although it will require a completely different build.

19. tknecht

tknecht Guest

Hi everybody

I agree with the update thing and the compiling of the whole system. That's a reason.

I'm not an developer, just system and network administrator. How much is it to make debian packages?

I think *.rpm and *.deb would make nearly everybody happy.

So please make deb-files for us.

Tobias (don't likes RH)

20. atomicturtle

atomicturtle Product Expert

the main issue with debian was that there is no "Standard" way its set up (same thing with freebsd) so you're back to having to maintain all your own packages again. Which frankly is a great honkin big nightmare. At least with the redhat packages you've got a whole suite of things to work with that you know is going to be pretty consistant from box to box. If you notice on my site I do the same thing, I dont put out freebsd, or old psa5 std versions because they are so much work to put together in any kind of portable manner.