Container contents migration

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by galaxy, Jan 22, 2014.

1. galaxy

galaxy Mega Poster

I have a customer with a VPS running Fedora 2 and need to upgrade to CentOS 5.
    Since there's really no "upgrade" path that I know of, I've created a new container with CentOS in it and would like to migrate the sites and contents over.

Is there an easy way to do this? Can I just rsync files over, or does it need to be done manually via the customer control panel?

Is there a best practice document for doing this type of thing?

Thanks in advance...

2. VuongH

VuongH Bit Poster

I'm too, please help :(

3. KonstantinB

KonstantinB Odin Team

Hello,

For data migration with linux distribution change - like from Fedora to Centos - we have no special tools.
    If you have any control panel installed in the container - please use migration capabilities of that panel.
    Like one described in http://kb.parallels.com/en/782/ for Plesk.

If that is not possible - use any solution that work for transferring data from standalone Fedora 2 server to standalone CentOS 5 one.

Best regards,

4. galaxy

galaxy Mega Poster

Thanks. Its somewhat what I expected, but I guess the question is can I just move the config files for apache, sendmail, FTP, etc. to the new host and have the control panel pick those changes up? Also will PBAS recognize that domains, etc. are now associated with a new subscription? Will it recognize all the "Sites" in the new container? For example, this customer has a base plan with extra options (additional IP's, additional Sites, SSL certificates, etc)..

5. FedorK

FedorK Mega Poster

By default this container will not recognize by PBAS.
    You should do this using PBAS conflict resolver.

This is Plesk container or WACP container?

6. galaxy

galaxy Mega Poster

Its not Plesk, just a regular Virtuozzo container. It is already registered and owned by the customer. I just need to move/transfer the domains, sites, etc. from one to the other.
    It doesn't appear in the conflict resolver since the customer already owns both containers.

If I delete the subscription, leave the container in-tact, will the conflict resolver pick up the sites, domains, etc.?

7. FedorK

FedorK Mega Poster

If it not WACP container PBAS doesn't create domains and sites on this container so you need migrate this sites and domains manually.

8. galaxy

galaxy Mega Poster

What is WACP ? Never heard of it.

They use the control panel supplied by PBAS. Sites were created using that.

9. FedorK

FedorK Mega Poster

WACP - WORKGROUP ADMINISTRATOR CONTROL PANEL - legacy PBAS CP.
    If you can create sites by PBAS CP you still use it.

We are not recomend use this CP - it is not maintened any more. We are recomend migrate from this CP to Plesk installed to Container.
    Parallels has migration tools from WACP to Plesk but not has tools for migrate sites domains etc from WACP to WACP.

Please inform us if you interested to migrate from legacy CP to Plesk.

10. galaxy

galaxy Mega Poster

We have Plesk and use it.
    This customer already has a system he likes and wants to keep. We just need to update the OS.
    Since you cannot upgrade from fedora 1 to CentOS 5 or 6, we need to create a new one and migrate the services to it.

So what is the best path to do this? I'm *not* looking for a tool to do this for me, but the steps involved for me to do this manually.

11. FedorK

FedorK Mega Poster

You need manually reassign (create) domains and sites at PBAS and then manually migrate content.

12. galaxy

galaxy Mega Poster

Do they first need to be deleted out of the first container? Or can I create/duplicate everything, then migrate the data over, then delete the old one?

13. FedorK

FedorK Mega Poster

Of course old container should be deleted only after all information migrated.

14. thinhd

thinhd Bit Poster

I also have done
    thank you.....

15. galaxy

galaxy Mega Poster

Not sure how/why this thread moved to cloud server. I have PBAS with Virtuozzo containers.

Anyway, I've created a new subscription in PBAS identical to the original, however replaced Fedora Core with CentOS 5.
    There's different applications in the user control panel, i.e. different FTP server. One has ProFTPD, and the new one has Vsftpd. The new one doesn't allow me to add/manage FTP accounts. So how do I do that?
    The old one has OpenWebmail, the new one SquirrelMail. Shouldn't be a problem I hope, but no link to webmail in the control panel anymore.
    The old one has AWstats log analyzer, the new one has Webalizer. again I hope there's no issue from the customer.
    Both the old and the new have apache, just different versions (2.0 vs 2.5). Actually, the new one doesn't have an "Apache" application as shown by the old one.
    But the main issue here is that the old control panel has a "Sites" tab (as they've ordered several additional sites and resell them). The new control panel has no tab, and no way to configure each site individually. They need this to manage the sites individually where each has its own website settings, website files & scripts, website statistics, mailboxes, mail forwarding, stats log analyzer, webmail, and per-site crontabs.
    There seems to be no way to manage individual domains in the new control panel subscription. How do I get that back? I can't migrate the sites and give them control panel access like they currently have.
    All I really want to do is upgrade the underlying O/S (which is all the customer wants to bring it up to date and have a chance at being PCI compliant).

Again, I don't know why this was moved to cloud server as it has nothing to do with that. This is just the PBAS end-user control panel managing a Virtuozzo container.

16. FedorK

FedorK Mega Poster

This thread was moved to cloud server because you ask about container migration.

Accourding your issues in PBAS CP, did you build custom OS and custom application templates for CentOS 5?
    Default EZ templtaes can't be used in WACP.
    Paralles doesn't provide custom OS and application templates for this purpose.
    WACP is legacy CP and works only on standart templtes up to CentOS 4.

Recomended way is drop using WACP and migrate such containers to containers with plesk.

17. galaxy

galaxy Mega Poster

No, did not build any custom templates.
    Am using the only templates provided, which are EZ templates.
    Was never informed that the control panel would not be supported after CentOS 4, this is the first notification.
    Why exactly should I or my customer have to pay more $$ to keep their current functionality? Or are you going to give them a free plesk license since you're taking away their ability to manage domains, websites and mail?
    I already sell plesk hosted domains. They don't want that, they want the same thing they've had for years but want to just get their platform OS updated to something current.

18. FedorK

FedorK Mega Poster

Hello,

Paralles stop develop WACP because it has the same functionality as Parallels Plesk but require hard dependencies such standard templates (or rebuild EZ) with not modern OSes and hard updates OSes, fixed application set (apache, sendmail, proftpd etc).

We are not remove yet this functionality for existing PBAS instances, but this CP is not installed with new installation.

Now providers use this CP on your own risk. Here is the information how to build custom EZ templates (strongly not recomended):
    http://download.pa.parallels.com/pbas/3.3/doc/HSPC_WACP_EZ.pdf
    http://download.pa.parallels.com/pbas/3.3/doc/hspc-wacp-for-ez-3.3-24.swsoft.i386.rpm

This document and patches are not maintained since 2008 and we can't guaranty that recomendation in this documents are still works. This tool will not maintain in future.

Extra money it is one reason for you that stop your from migration from WACP CP to container with installed Plesk?
    Plesk provide significantly more possibilities for customer, more modern feel & looks, more stable and it constantly improved.

Thank you,
    Fedor Kolesnikov

19. galaxy

galaxy Mega Poster

Extra money is one reason. Why should they spend more money? I offer them plesk hosting (domain or reseller), but they want their own container. Its not worth the extra expense for plesk when they already have the functionality they want with their existing WACP. Plesk is overkill. They don't want or need all the extra features.
    They want a simplistic panel that they can maintain their domains, administer websites, and administer email. That's it.
    Adding plesk would more than double their cost.
    The way the control over Virtuozzo is now is a waste. The email interface is broken, and no way to manage any domains or websites. It looks like you're moving away from Virtuozzo within PBAS with how its supported now.