CentOS 7.x Installation

Discussion in 'Installation, Update and Configuration' started by KrazyBob, Dec 10, 2016.

1. KrazyBob

KrazyBob Mega Poster

It is my understanding that a Centos release is or has been developed for direct installation of Virtuozzo. I'm asking if this is the case. Our data center techs installed Centos and Virtuozzo time after time and never got it to work right.

Any thoughts?

2. Pavel

Pavel A.I. Auto-Responder Odin Team

Hello Robert,

To be honest I do not understand what the question is.
    Virtuozzo 7 is installed on bare metal and there is no way to install it on CentOS.

If you actually ask about Plesk on top of centos/virtuozzo linux then you probably should address your question at https://talk.plesk.com/
    If it's a Virtuozzo-related question after all, please re-phrase it.

3. KrazyBob

KrazyBob Mega Poster

That may explain why our data center hands-on staff was failing and has cost me a fortune in lost revenue and customers.

Is or what is the underlying OS? I've been told it is CentOS modified to work with Virtuozzo.

I have no problem installing Plesk.

Thank you or your reply.

4. Pavel

Virtuozzo Containers 3.x and 4.x were installed on top of CentOS.
    Virtuozzo (6/7) is working on Virtuozzo Linux, which itself is a CentOS clone. However Virtuozzo 6 and 7 are installed on a bare metal.
    Could you elaborate what problems have you faced during the installation?

5. KrazyBob

KrazyBob Mega Poster

At first the staff would try to install on EXT3 and discovered it wouldn't work. They switched to EXT4 and it worked. But then the containers would fail for no reason. I would have to reboot the server. They did NOT install bare metal. They installed CentOS 7.1 first. For 11 months they failed. Newtek in Arizona. I need to just keep buying my own servers and doing my own work. I've run Virtuozzo 3 and 4 for years. We've talked before on the phone! But this was just stupid. I was fine at 4.7 that I had installed on nearly 100 servers and skipped 6 but then tried 7. It has left me thinking I should just load the OS and Plesk without Virtuozzo. I usually only run two containers. I put Plesk in one so that if it fails somehow I only have to restart the container. It has saved many power supplies and 100 mile drives to the data center through the rain and heavy snow. The other I can put a small reseller in. Same thing. Fast reboots of the container.

6. Pavel

It's a shame your stuff struggled for so long instead of just reading the documentation, or at least asking forum/support.
    Although you don't run many containers per host you can still gain benefit from the product. I'll brief you quickly on a vz history, and you'll decide whether you need those new features or not. At least check the part about OpenVZ - you might be interested in it.

Comparison between vz3/4 and vz6 (just the key points, there are much more differences):
    - Vz6 introduced hypervisor - virtual machines along the containers on a same host. VMs were running on a Parallels/Virtuozzo hypervisor technology.
    - ploop disk format - on 3.x/4.x you could only use "vzfs"-based containers. They were really lightweight, however, linked to the OS template area, giving a lot of headache during migrations/backup restoration. Ploop is a virtual drive, disk image, which does not have any links to os template area. Disk image is easy to migrate/restore. Another huge benefit from this technology - it provides snapshots. One requirement for ploop to work - it must be on ext4 (Important! That is why ext3 didn't work for you in vz7 - it also uses ploops, and requires ext4).
    - Software-Defined Storage(SDS) introduction - pstorage. It also provides HA for VMs and CTs running on it.

Now, comparison between vz6 and vz7:
    - Vz7 went opensource. In the old days OpenVZ and Virtuozzo Containers were quite different solutions. It has changed since vz7 - openvz7 and virtuozzo7 share the same codebase. Vz7 has some additional features which are not available to the community of course, but the rest of the code is entirely shared. If someday you decide to switch from OpenVZ7 to Virtuozzo7 it can be done in runtime simply by installing few packages.
    - VM virtualization was switched from Parallels/Virtuozzo Hypervisor to KVM which is maintained by our development team - we patch KVM to gain better performance and introduce features required for our clients. Our patches are also added to mainstream KVM, but it takes some time before these patches get to a stable version, thus virtuozzo kvm is a several steps ahead.
    - newer kernel (3.10.x)
    - container migration is now implemented through CRIU which ensures that HN will not crash if anything goes wrong during the migration, simply because migration is taking place in userspace, not within the kernel module as it used to be.
    - support for new version of Virtuozzo Storage (SDS) with new features and improvements
    - better docker support inside of containers - installation of docker now does not require any specific configuration from vz side.
    - new memory management mechanism which requires less effort for configuration
    - readykernel support(its free for virtuozzo7 users) - another product of Virtuozzo company that patches kernel on a live servers allowing you to apply truly rebootless updates to the kernel, to apply security fixes fast and without service interruption. (Important! Even if you decide not to use Virtuozzo furthermore you might still be interested in this product - our team is also releasing patches for CentOS7 kernels). You can check FAQ here: https://readykernel.com/faq
    - VMs and CTs can be fully managed through libvirt
    - ... and so on, you can find the rest here: http://docs.virtuozzo.com/pdf/virtuozzo_7_readme.pdf

So... Even if you believe that your use-case does not need Virtuozzo anymore (and you enjoy night rides to the Datacenter), you might at least take a look at openvz7 which is the same virtuozzo7 but free(except for few features). If you do not want to utilize virtualization you might at least take a look at readykernel to keep your servers up-to-date with security fixes to the kernel.

7. KrazyBob

KrazyBob Mega Poster

I think you misunderstand. I own Virtuozzo. Any questions I may have asked were simply about getting it to work because I wasn't getting answers before. I didn't need to read the installation instructions (I thought) when I hired and paid third-party staff to do it. A "manager" doesn't need to know how a secretary files everything. He makes the decisions and passes his instructions on. Not this time. I lost a lot of money. In hindsight had I read the documentation I would have been able to tell them what they were doing wrong. In fact, I INSISTED on the latest version. But you''re right. Since I had not used v6 I was unaware of the many changes. The migrations were miserable. But I have stayed with Plesk with owned licenses. Perpetual. I own Virtuozzo. Perpetual. The only thing remaining is upgrading my SUS. There is far more to my issue with Odin dating back to a complete failure in 2007 when SW-Soft crashed my data center migration and I lost 1000's of customers almost overnight. We don't need to discuss it here but I think you remember. I have never been quiet about it. But working with Jason I have tried to look with fresh eyes.

8. Pavel

I do know that you have active Virtuozzo and Plesk licenses. I was simply addressing this phrase: "It has left me thinking I should just load the OS and Plesk without Virtuozzo".

Anyway, if your staff has faced some issues with Virtuozzo 7 they can either address them to forum (slow way), or to the technical support (fast way). We'll be glad to help.

9. KrazyBob

KrazyBob Mega Poster

I think you still made a valid point. If I had read the manual as I have done for years I would not have been surprised. I can change that in the future. I don't usually sell Virtuozzo containers but I plan on it. But as I mentioned loading Plesk in a container really helps. If I have smaller customers I can get three containers easily on one normal server with memory and hard drive space. My profit margin goes up! I'm honest that it isn't a dedicated server but neither is the price. Thank you for your advice.