Can Slave DNS Server Be PDNS(PowerDNS)?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Adam Mudie, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Adam Mudie

Adam Mudie Kilo Poster

Hey Guys,

I wanna setup a 3rd dns server incase the 2 in HSPC fail..

The 3rd dns server is configured with PDNS and MYSQL..

Is it possible to sync HSPC with PDNS?

Can someone give me step by step as i have tried and it failed trying to find named services which doesn't exist?

Any help would be great

Thanks
    Ryan

2. VitalyF

VitalyF Kilo Poster

Adam,

In current version PBA-S cannot manage PowerDNS-based name server. The only supported type of PBAS-managed name server is Bind-based.

So, you may install the 3rd DNS server without MySQL and PowerDNS and register it in PBA-S as SSH-manageable one. All you need to be installed on the server is SSH server and Bind. PBA-S will configure new name server as necessary.

3. Adam Mudie

Adam Mudie Kilo Poster

Can't Get bind working... get the following error

Seems its looking for named service which is now called bind not named

Any ideas?

Ryan

Error Failed Domain Manager
    SSH-based Name Server creation; Cannot execute the remote command. Please, make sure that the hostname and password are correct.

12-Jul-2010, 12:34
    Attention! See Problem # p2010-07-12_12-34-36 for details.

--------------------- HEADER ---------------------
    Build-ID: Parallels Business Automation - Standard release 3.3.3-07.23 (2009-06-02)
    Report-ID: p2010-07-12_12-34-36
    Generated: 2010-07-12 12:34:36
    Error-TEXT: 34:36] [ERROR] [11664] [HSPC::MT::DM::report_to_action_log] Cannot execute the remote command. Please, make sure that the hostname and password are correct. ERR=named: unknown service

Error-LOCATION: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/HSPC/Logger.pm:142
    --------------------- /HEADER ---------------------

4. Adam Mudie

Adam Mudie Kilo Poster

[2010/07/12 12:34:36] [ERROR] [11664] [HSPC::MT::DM::report_to_action_log] Cannot execute the remote command. Please, make sure that the hostname and password are correct. ERR=named: unknown service

5. VitalyF

VitalyF Kilo Poster

Ryan,

Could you please make sure that log level is set to DEBUG in PBA-S PCC at Top > Configuration Director > Logging and Errors > Log Settings, then repeat the action which led to the error and attach problem report from Action Log here.

In this case PBA-S will log all commands it tries to execute on slave SSH nameserver in the log and we will hopefully find the reason of problem. Records in log will look like these:
    --------------
    [2010/07/14 00:57:03] [DEBUG] [13949] [HSPC::MT::DM::NS::SlaveNS::SSH::__init_namedsync_transport] path to identity prv=/var/www/.ssh/identity
    [2010/07/14 00:57:03] [DEBUG] [13949] [HSPC::MT::DM::NS::SlaveNS::SSH::__init_namedsync_transport] path to id dsa prv=/var/www/.ssh/id_dsa
    [2010/07/14 00:57:03] [DEBUG] [13949] [HSPC::MT::DM::NS::SlaveNS::SSH::__init_namedsync_transport] port=22
    [2010/07/14 00:57:03] [DEBUG] [13949] [HSPC::MT::DM::NS::SlaveNS::SSH::__init_namedsync_transport] proto=1
    --------------

Also, please check what version of Bind is installed on the nameserver:
    # rpm -qa | grep bind

In my case bind-9.3.6-4.P1.el5 is installed on CentOS 5 based server and service is called 'named', right as PBA-S is trying to call it:
    # rpm -ql bind | grep init.d
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/named

See above - startup script is called 'named'.

6. Adam Mudie

Adam Mudie Kilo Poster

VitalyF,

Attached is a TXT file with the Debug part of the log.. i have hashed out person info eg. email, name, ip's

Also, please check what version of Bind is installed on the nameserver:
    # rpm -qa | grep bind

###:~# rpm -qa | grep bind
    No Result
    ####:~# named -v
    BIND 9.6-ESV-R1

In my case bind-9.3.6-4.P1.el5 is installed on CentOS 5 based server and service is called 'named', right as PBA-S is trying to call it:
    # rpm -ql bind | grep init.d
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/named

See above - startup script is called 'named'.[/QUOTE]

Startup script is called bind9 in init.d directory

Sum system info for you
    ####:~# uname -a
    Linux ##### 2.6.26-2-amd64 #1 SMP Wed May 12 18:03:14 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

####:~# cat /etc/issue
    Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 \n \l

####1:~# service bind9 status
    bind9 is running.

Thanks look forward to your reply soon..

Ryan

7. Adam Mudie

Adam Mudie Kilo Poster

Oops forgot to attach file :)

Attached Files:

8. VitalyF

VitalyF Kilo Poster

Ryan,

That's the issue:
    -----------------
    ####:~# cat /etc/issue
    Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 \n \l
    -----------------

To the best of my knowledge only Redhat- and Fedora-derived distribs are supported as host OS of PBA-S-managed nameservers.

Please install new CentOS/RHEL-based server (physical or Parallels Virtuozzo Containers-based one) and register it in PBA-S. CentOS/RHEL derived distribs have BIND startup script named as /etc/inint.d/named.

If you install CentOS 5 or RHEL 5 based server please apply solution from this KB article before registering them in PBA-S - http://kb.odin.com/en/2208 (there is known issue with BIND package on these OSs).

9. Adam Mudie

Adam Mudie Kilo Poster

Well thats just ****...

Where does it say that a slave DNS server has to be CENTOS or Redhat... I couldn't find anywhere..

This server is allready bein used for other things so there for cannot b changed

I wish Parallels would document things a bit better..

10. Adam Mudie

Adam Mudie Kilo Poster

Okays so i set up DNS on Centos 5 64Bit
    Namserver is setup in PBAS

Now im getting this error on secondary dns server

Jul 14 18:13:07 luna named[1519]: zone xxxxx.com/IN/external: Transfer started.
    Jul 14 18:13:07 luna named[1519]: transfer of 'xxxxx.com/IN' from xxxxx#53: connected using xxxxx#42912
    Jul 14 18:13:07 luna named[1519]: transfer of 'xxxxx.com/IN' from xxxxx#53: failed while receiving responses: REFUSED
    Jul 14 18:13:07 luna named[1519]: transfer of 'xxxxx.com/IN' from xxxxx#53: end of transfer
    Jul 14 18:13:08 luna named[1519]: zone xxxxx.com/IN/external: zone transfer deferred due to quota

11. Adam Mudie

Adam Mudie Kilo Poster

okays so i got it to work... added the slave dns to afx-transfer in pdns.conf on PBAS and added PBAS ip to afx-trasfer named.conf on secondary dns server

But.. when i make a change in PBAS is changes on the 2 VE nameservers on hspc machine but not the new dns server?

Have i done somthign wrong?

12. Adam Mudie

Adam Mudie Kilo Poster

Looks like when i add a new domain to HSPC it goes to the new secondry DNS but not if i add a new record to a existing domain..

This is the setup
    NS1.XYZ.com
    Phys machine -> HSPC
    NS2.XYZ.com

VPS -> NS2.ABC.com

So basicly everything works on HSPC and NS1 & NS2.XYZ.com
    But not syncin records with NS2.ABC.com

Thanks
    Ryan

13. Adam Mudie

Adam Mudie Kilo Poster

Looks like it only updates when i restart named..

Should it to it automaticly?