Any Success or Experience with Parallels Virtuozzo Containers?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by johnvicky, Oct 3, 2016.

1. johnvicky

johnvicky Bit Poster

Hi All,

I love Turnkey Linux. In fact, I think so highly of it that I intend to use the Drupal appliance as the base for converting my company's 200+ public websites from Windows to Linux. The one fly in the ointment for me is finding an enterprise grade yet cost effective infrastructure on which to house the appliances which also has support.

vSphere with all of the bells and whistles is too cost restrictive, XenServer also has cost restrictions, as well as a shared storage requirment for live migration and other functions. I have seen OpenVZ mentioned here which is the open source version of Virtuozzo containers. OpenVZ seems like it may be viable, but again my CTO would require a support option which leaves Virtuozzo.

Has anyone used\experimented with Virtuozzo conainers? Heck, I'd be happy with some feedback regarding OpenVZ as I believe the technologies are very similar if not identical. I'm curious as to the performance obtained, issues observed, etc. Also of concern is that the commercial version requires an RPM-based base OS install. What kind of issues could I\would I be looking at running Turnkey in this environment?

Thank you in advance for any information or advice you may be able to lend.

Regards,